What motherboard brand(s) are you using?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Big B, Nov 23, 2005.

?

What Motherboard Brand(s) Are You Using

1. Asus

42.9%
  2. Abit

19.0%
  3. Biostar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Chaintech

4.8%
  5. DFI

9.5%
  6. ECS

9.5%
  7. EPoX

4.8%
  8. Gigabyte

9.5%
  9. MSI

14.3%
  10. Other (Explain)

19.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

As the title says. If your brand isn't listed, check other and explain.

I'm currently using the DFI LanPartyUT NF4 Ultra-D and the Chaintech VNF3-250. I've got an Asus A7V and A7V133 lying around, but not active...and I think that the A7V finally kicked the bucket...after 4 years of near constant use.

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Hmmm... lets see here,
    My main computer uses a Albatron KX18DS Pro,
    My Linux Computer uses a ASUS CUV-NT (some HP specific thing),
    and my server uses some old Gigabyte board with a 300Mhz AMD :good:

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Off topic -
    I admire you people using more than one PC.
    I'de love to do that :crying:
    But I ahve been given a very small corner in the house for my play area and two PCs will not fit there.
    End off topic....

Anyway, to the point - ASRock P4V88. Not brilliant but does the job.
    I think it was mega value for money (it was very cheap.... :p ).

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

• Abit x2
    • Gigabyte x2
    • Other (Tyan) x1

My workstation and my wife's both have the same Abit KV7, my firewall has some ancient PGA370 Gigabyte the model of which I'm not sure, and the same goes for my outward facing server which handles Apache and proxying for secure fileserver access. The fileserver itself has a Tyan Tiger Rev. E.

5. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Mines ASUS

6. Addis

Addis The King

MSI one is buggy, replacing it with Abit one soon.

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Gigabyte for me, though ever since the video card fiasco I haven't used my PC for over a month. Was damn stable when I had it up though.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

MSI 865PE-Neo2 for me, it's a few years old but does the job, no major problems so far :good:
    *touch wood*

9. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I've got a couple of interesting motherboards.

Firstly, an ECS P6bat-A+ which has both a slot 1 and socket 370 which is rare. Unfortunately you can't use both at the same time

I also have a Supermicro P6DBE Dual processor board running 2 P3 700 Mhz. Lots of power!

I've got an Intel seabreeze board somewhere, but the less said about that the better!

10. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

an abit nf7-s v.2
    some weird epox.

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I had a Tyan Trinity P3 board that had the slot1/socket 370 combo. That was a great board. Stable as hell and could OC pretty well for lack of voltage adjustments and that everything was operating on dividers still.

12. Anti-Trend

I think if I tried to OC my Tyan dual Palamino rig it'd burn down. :p

13. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

ECS here, and I assure you, not by choice. It was purchased for me by my parents for xmas last year, and they don't really know much about PC's :/

If I had a choice, I think I'd buy an Asus or a Gigabyte board.

14. megamaced

Don't knock ECS! My motherboard may be old but it can still handle an overclock! I managed to overclock a 700Mhz P111 into a 933Mhz!

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

For all the knocks ECS gets, from what I've seen, they make pretty good boards. Now, if you want to overclock the hell out of something, I'd suggest looking at something from DFI, but otherwise, they're inexpensive boards with a decent feature set. I wouldn't have a problem throwing one in a rig for a basic box for someone. Right now, they seem to be making a move to come into the enthusiast market, but have some work to do in the overclocking department. They make boards with great layouts and that have top-notch performance at stock speeds. There's also the stability factor. The only thing they're having some trouble with is mega-OC potential...and quite honestly, that's not priority 1 on my list. What's the point of overclocking if you're not building a motherboard that can work properly at stock speeds? (ahem, Epox).

16. megamaced

Motherboad manufacturers seem to be sending out conflicting messages.

Take ECS for example, their website boasts about the overclocking potential of their motherboards and how you can tweak them. But when you read the user manual for the product, it tells you overclocking is dangerous and shouldn't be done!!

17. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Every company does that, and probably for legal reasons. There's a lot of people that simply don't do any research on how to properly overclock or the inherit risks of doing so. There are idiots that will use stock cooling, but pump 2V into their Athlon64...and then find out what a burning CPU smells like. It's there to make someone who reads the manual think twice before attempting something they don't know. Secondly, overclocking does void your processors warranty. Depending on the motherboard, that may or may not be the case. DFI has been pretty active about supporting overclocking, but that's more of an exception.

18. megamaced

For sure, these companies want to cover their arses if something goes wrong!

Instead of stating not to overclock in the user manuals, they should lay out the pros and cons. Even better, they should lay out basic instructions for the overclocking process for beginners. That way, there is less chance for things to go wrong.

19. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Alot of the boards we deal with are ECS, and we quite frequently get PC'S with ECS boards that have popped capacitors. Just my experience with them anyways, they might be good for you!

20. Anti-Trend

Yes, one of the reason I buy Abit boards is that they always use Rubycon capacitors, which are excellent. They last a long time.