What OS are you running?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Willz, Aug 22, 2006.

?

What OS are you currently running?

1. Windows xp

15 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Windows 2000

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Windows 98

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Windows Vista beta?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mac osx

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Linux (specify what Linux your running)

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  7. Other (Please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hi, i have made this poll to see what os's people are running, if we get enough people do the poll, hopefully we can find what the most popular OS is on the forum, i guess it will probs be Windows, but lets see :)

Also, please express your thought on windows, what you thinks good about it, bad about it etc.. and also the same for linux, maybe even suggest improvement for windows, this is kind of like a Linux Vs Windows thread i suppose :p

Please post what OS you would prefer to run aswell :)

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

......but also Linux.
    Although, I have yet to take the plung properly.
    My rig (well... the squaters) mainly use XP Pro.
    I use linux to get as much experience as possible.

I use Kubuntu... lovely! ;)

Really, there should have been an option for Dual-Bootists:
    "Dual-Boot - please specify"

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

This should really be multiple choice - or "Which OS is your primary OS" because I run both Windows and Linux - like a lot of people.

4. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

I use XP most of the time, I also use OSx but im currently gathering all my spares and build it for Linux.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

XP Pro on my laptop and main box. I run Win2k and CentOS 4.3 on my 2nd box.

6. Willz

Hehe, everyone so far using some sort of linux aswell :p

Yea matt, just after i posted the poll i thought damnd i should of made it multiple choice, i dont think it cant be changed tho.

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I use my version of XP mostly,But since I do so much teck work and have almost ever OS for windows I can use almost anything. I am also testing different versions of Linux, as well as Mac. On my main computer is a version of XP pro,
    but it has been lightened up by Nlite..

8. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

I'm a sad pathetic little man:

XP Pro on my PC
    XP Pro on my laptop
    XP Pro on my father's computer

Macs I barely know anything about, and Linux I know absolutely nothing about. I'm a gamer :D XP seems to be my thing, I guess.

(oh, how I do hate it, though)

9. Addis

Addis The King

I'm using Mandriva at the moment, although I do use XP on my laptop as I can't get wifi drivers working in Linux..

I suppose I just feel better when i'm using Linux, knowing that I'm using a free, community OS which is open source. I love the fact that KDE looks so much better, and so much more capable than the GUI in Windows.

Windows really slows down after a while, I've been running torrents throughout the night and in the morning the thing slows to a crawl. Reboot is the only way to restore its "speed".

10. Willz

Lol addis i think the oposite of you with the GUI, i am going to install Mnadriva 2007, then i want to make it look like windows xp :p

I installed windows again about 3 hours ago, installed everyhting, all my drivers, i am installing 2 games now, half life 2 and ut2k4, and guess what, windows is at a standstill now, only got 100mb ram left out of 1024mb lol, going to install mandriva later in an emulator to get used to it, hopefully XP should just be for games soon, i am so sure that since i got my X-FI, every time my X-FI drivers are installed, they slow my computer down more than anything, cant belive it, computers can do calculations and well everything faster than humans lol, yet there still so slow and some stuff i could do faster than the damnd thing!

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I was going to, but I didn't see a way to change the poll to multiple choice, so I left it alone.

As far as 'using' goes, I'm not using my 2nd box that much, but I decided to swap the Radeon 9600XT for the GeForce Ti4600 I have (with the CoolViva! to make it a more massive beast), so I've actually got it running. Now I'll have to refresh my memory on how to install drivers under Linux, but it'll be worth it simply for the better drivers. The nForce 3 driver install gave me some good insight into how much better nVidia's drivers are.

12. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Main Computer

Kubuntu 6.06 (with KDE 3.5.4)

Second Computer

Ubuntu 6.06
    Windows XP Professional (180 day trial edition ;) )
    Windows Server 2003 (180 day trial edition ;) )

Once the trial editions have run out I will wipe Windows completely and only run it via VMware on my Kubuntu machine

13. Willz

why are you using Windows Server 2003?

14. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I know, it's sh1t3 isn't it :D

No seriously though, I need it (and XP) for my MCSE course. Otherwise I would wipe Windows off for good :devil:

15. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i'm on kubuntu and XP (on another HDD)

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I've got Win XP home on my PC and 3 macs running Mac OS X (tiger and jaguar depending on the Mac for anyone who cares) but I only use them for internet (barely touch it on my XP box after what happened last time), iMovie, itunes, and the occasional old school game from my childhood.
    I've got some SUSE 10 disks but haven't really gotten around to installing them yet. I did at least make a 30gig partition for it though.

17. Fred

Fred Moderator

On my desktop computers im running Mandriva 2006, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, and Suse.
    On my laptop im running Windows xp.

18. Willz

why does no one use Linux on laptops?

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Often because of the problems with WiFi (drivers)

20. zeus

zeus out of date

WIndows 2000 pro and Linux on my computer, The two office ones (this one!) has XP pro and XP Home and the laptop has windows 98.