What should i buy ? newbie at pc ?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by smgh, May 17, 2009.

1. smgh

smgh Geek Trainee

hay guys,

please tell me which processor i should buy ?

tell me which motherboard i should buy too ?

my use of pc

30% - photoshop cs4
    40% - Web dvlopment - (6 programming running at once)
    30% - gaming

2. GamerOfDK

GamerOfDK Geek Trainee

For that work, you must have a Quad-processor.

For Webwork, i will suggest a Intel, maybe Q8xxx. If you have the money, and willing to use them, then go up to a Q9xxx series:)

The motherboard, you need another to tell you, i don't know much of Motherboards...

3. jonmcp87

jonmcp87 Geek Trainee

it really depends on how much you're willing to spend, there are so many good processor + motherboard combinations out there, it's difficult to make a recommendation without knowing this.

a quad-core really isn't necessary, though it will be futureproof. cs4 is now 64 bit, so it can take advantage of the extra cores; though a hardware review site did come tests on dual-, tri-, and quad- core and there was no real performance difference between tri- and quad-core using photoshop. the same is true with newer games that support the 64 bit architecture.

tri-core processors have the advantage of being cheaper than quad-core though they are currently only available from AMD (their phenom ii range). i, personally, am using a phenom ii processor and am more than happy with it. saying that, i would wait until a few more people have posted their opinions, and then i would suggest you do some research on the recommendations to find one that is suitable for you.

with regards to the motherboard, it would depend on what other components are going to be used, and which brand of processor. i tend to choose a processor first, before looking at what motherboards support it and have the features i am looking for.

4. bytesbytes

bytesbytes Geek Trainee

May I ask what your budget is? Cause depending on it, the parts that can be recommended will vary a lot.

5. connor53

connor53 Geek Trainee

Well for that sort I would get a Quad Core would suit you best.
    Something like a Q8300+. And a good mobo like Asus or Gigabyte. Keep in mind, that if you get a new mobo you will need a new OS.

So heres some links.

Intel Combos
    Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3LR LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
    Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

AMD Combos
    Newegg.com - ASUS M4A78 Plus AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
    Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9950 Agena 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Either one of those combos up there would be great for just about anything

And throw in Vista. You are set

6. pcnewbie26m

pcnewbie26m Geek Trainee

try the Intel Xeon processor well motherboards must be compatible with your processor say, mobo'sd for the Core 2 Duo, is G31T-M7 like mine any would do as long as it is compatible.

7. luke992006

luke992006 Geek Trainee

the q8 series is horible, do not go for them.

Depending on your budget i would go I7 920 and asus P6T. The more the ram for photo shop the better but there is a limit to where you can't notice the ram any more. 6gb of 1600mhz ddr3, or 12 if you have the budget. But anything past 12 is just really stupid IMO. normally i would say anything over 6gb for ddr3 is stupid but photoshop uses it.