what's betta,enermax 535watt or hiper 580watt

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by izzy007, Aug 5, 2006.

1. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

which du u think is better, the enermax fma 565 535watt. in terms of noise performance etc. big b's got this i think, how is it b, is it quiet. anyone else with experience feel free
    ebuyer.com - Components » Power Supplies » Enermax » Product details

or the hiper type M. non modular 580watt. is it really quiet. it only has combined 30amps ohttp://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/109552/rb/20849006071n the 12v rail though

or wud the 530watt be a better deal,
    ebuyer.com - Components » Power Supplies » Hiper » Product details

any suggestions appreciated
    thx

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The Enermax must have a little bit better tweaked 12V rails. It's got 18A on both 12V rails, whereas the Hiper has 18A on one and 17A on the other. Enermax specs the combined rails output as 34A together. I can't speak for the Hiper, but I have measured the 12Vs with a multimeter and came up with 12.04V under load. The 3.3V is 32A for the Enermax and 28A for the Hiper. The 5V is spec'd at 32A and 34A for the Enermax and Hiper, respectively. On paper, they're functionally the same.

Enermax is a little bit more conservative on their ratings, despite stronger specs than the Hiper in 2 of the 3 voltage rails. I'm biased, but the Enermax is a little bit better unit. On the flip side, it's not like the Hiper is a piece of trash either.

3. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

the hiper has 30amps combined which totals to 360watts and the enermax waz 34a combined totalled to 408watts. the 12v rails is most important though and ive seen benchmarks that stated thet the modern coputers barely used about 4-5amps on the 5v rails under load!
    i was a bit towards the enermax side aswell,
    how is the noise in consideration to the hiper or just how noisy or silent is it

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Mine is pretty quiet, and I've even set the fan control to maximum. I can't speak for the Hiper.

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I have the exact same Enermax in my dual-Thoroughbred file server, which has half-a-dozen large fans and 4 HDDs. No problems at all, and all rails are slightly overvolting.

6. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

yeah i waz a bit worried becoz ive got an antec neo he 500 watt psu and ive read that they are incompatible with asus mobo's especially the a8n-sli. but i shud get a m2n-e am2 mobo tomorrow and was wondering if it will be compatible. it shud becoz most people had the 430watt versions that cam along with p150 cases and were made before 12/05. my one was made in 03/06 and someone sed that the revision 3 and above are the fixed ones that will work with all mobos. my one is 3.1 but i was slightly frustrated.

7. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

My Hiper Typer-R 580w has 18A/20A on the 12v rails :s, thats wierd, they must of lowered the spec of em :s

here, found this, these are the specs of the Hiper TYPE-R 580W
    [​IMG]

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

He linked the 530 unit, not the 580 Type-R. The HPU-M's are the same thing as the Type-R's sans modular cabling.

9. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

when the two rails are combined the output is only 30amps and not 38amps making it a 360watt output, thats one reason i didnt really like the hiper one becasue it porvides less output on the 12v rails

10. Willz

that dont make sense, it says there 18/20A which is more than the enermax if it has 18/18, i dont understand how it can be 30amps when 18 + 20 is 38.

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Combined rails don't equal out to the full addition of the rails. We know that 18+18=36, but the Enermax doesn't provide the 36, only 34. Keep in mind, this is if the rails are combined or not. I forget the math on this, but from what I understand, the prinicple as to why speaker wattage isn't equal to RMS wattage is the same idea. Hiper isn't bad, but Enermax is better. Same with Antec. I've measured the voltages on both my Antec 330W and my Enermax 535W. The Antec had 11.95-12V, and the Enermax had 12.04V. By comparison, my OCZ Modstream 450 had 11.91. All these voltages are within the 5% tolerance in either direction. I knew Enermax was a good brand, but I'd never taken any readings before, so I didn't know exactly how good.

Enermax simply has a little bit better quality than Hiper.

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I believe Asus also addressed this with a BIOS update.

13. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

although still people forund it to be incompatible. i read that if u have a revision 3 or above, then the issue has been fixed on those psu's and my one is a revision 3.1. anywayz i got my components today assembled and thankfully, the psu works.thx for ur help anyway, i just wanted to see if it didnt work, then i cud rma it and get the enermax. sfe b

14. Willz

yea i suppose enermax and all that is better quality, but Hiper Type-R 580w is really damnd good quality seen as its got extreamly good looks, and most power supplys with extreamly good looks are a pile of crap.

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's true. I think they'd be comparable in quality to the OCZ Modstreams. They're nice looking for sure, and the voltages are well within tolerance, so it's all good.