What's the deal with the new AMD naming system?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by varangian, Aug 19, 2003.

1. varangian

varangian Geek Trainee

While I have just built a new AMD 3200+ for the simple fact that it is one of the fastest on the market and have more cache than the comparible Intel's, I am building one for an email server here at work and would like to know what's up with the new naming scheme AMD offers. I know it has to do a bit with the feud AMD and Intel are having and Intel clocking their GHz faster while sacrificing actual speed, I am still wondering what's up with the naming scheme on the AMD side. Before I go AMD for the server, I'd like to know exactly how this works though. What we're thinking is a dual AMX XP 2200+ in the server. What would the actual GHz clocking speed be? Thanks

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It's a relative rating.

It compares the Athlon XP with their previous Athlon Thunderbird.

In no way does it have something to do with Intel. Because many tests have proven that the 3200+ is slower than the P4 3.2C , and even slower than the P4 2.4C

So basically it means than the 2200+ will be faster than the 2100+, but slower than the 2400+.

The 2200+ is a Thoroughbred @ 1.8ghz (133*13.5)

So even though the 2400+ is @ 2ghz (133*15) and the 2500+ is @ 1.83ghz(166*11), the 2500+ is considered faster because of its Barton core and a FSB of 166.

Again, it's not true that a Barton 2500+ is named after the P4 2.5ghz.

It's only a relative rating amongst other amd cpus, but it creates confusion and I'm sure amd knows all about it...

Thoroubred is the name of the core of the cpu. It's named after the "new" .13 micron process which basically reduces the heat generated by the cpu.
    We also have the Palomino which is older, which is named after the .18 micron process (generates more heat).
    And a Barton is like a thoroubred but with 512kb of on die cache instead of only 256.

3. varangian

varangian Geek Trainee

4. varangian

varangian Geek Trainee

hah, nevermind

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't know where your planning to buy stuff from, but I'd avoid TigerDirect like the plague. Their prices aren't that great, and they have horrible customer service. You want a good place to buy? Try Newegg. I've never had a problem with the $1000+ in purchases I've made with them thus far.

6. varangian

varangian Geek Trainee

Too late.