What's yer connection?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Exfoliate, Apr 27, 2005.

?

I connect through...

1. 28/32/56k modem

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. ISDN, X.25

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. LAN ( and Ethernet, Token Ring, IP over ATM, IrD, wireless)

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Cable

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. DSL/ADSL

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  6. VPN (using PPTP or LTTP)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Serial Cabeling/infrared link, DP cabeling

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. TI, T3,...etc. (PSTN, frame relay)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

What's your connection?

How do you connect? I'm a lowly 56k man myself:( but I'd like to see what the ratio is, I threw in a bunch of stuff no one uses just for the heck of it.
    EDIT: crap I forgot Satilite, oh well, I'd be pretty impressed if anyone used that for what it's going for, and when I added T1/3 etc. I'm assuming it's through a college and whatnot.

2. syngod

syngod Moderator

I'm on a 7mbit down 512k up line at home and at work. Although lately most of my time has been spent on a 1xRTT connection which tends to average at the 80-90k mark.

3. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

cable-6mb down 1mb up.

4. Addis

Addis The King

Cable, 256k. Oh dear.

5. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

On a wireless network, which is 1.5 mbps for some reason although the advertised price is just 1 meg.

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Grrrr, you guys are so lucky, great, I'm the only one who admits they use a 56k modem.

7. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

2 mbps here

8. spuff

spuff Big Geek

I tried getting 2MB ADSL but UK Online messed me around. I migrated to them with promises of 2MB ADSL for £30 per month and now all they can say is "only if you're a new customer and not migrating" ... grrr! I'm still 'stuck' with 512k :x:

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

That's rough dude but even 64k would be great for me, takes 15 freakin' minutes to download a 3 minute song:(
    Oh, I also could have added connecting with your PDA too, guess that would count as wireless though.

10. syngod

syngod Moderator

With the price drops here I couldn't see not going without a 7mb connection. 2 Years ago I was paying $169.95 for the work line but they ended up dropping it to $69.95 so picked it up for the house too.

Don't feel too bad Exfoliate, like I said most of the time lately I've been on a cellular connection which is pretty much like being on dial-up :mad:. Just need them to hurry up and get EV-DO here so I can get broadband speeds over the network.

Edit: By the way sattelite isn't that bad, it's down to $249.95/month now here which I wouldn't say is too bad when you can use it almost anywhere. I've used it at a few locations and speed wasn't that bad either.

11. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Put it this way, my mom thinks $30 a month for DSL is steep, ugh. She has no idea what she's missing, unfortunately I do. Though that's an insanely fast connection, especially coming from 56k, $70 a month would really kill after awhile, but for the single dude with a decent job that $840 is totally worth it, I'd pay it if I could.

12. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

spuff are you sure you can't migrate? thats stupid! have a read on www.adslguide.org.uk

I can get UK Online 8MB connection but don't want to, I want to stay with my current ISP freedom 2 surf who will also do 8MB in the summer and I will have it, though it would depend on the price :)

13. Sniper

Hey I was on 56K for years, until I got a JOB thats when I got broadband :) soon enough you can start to earning money part-time etc

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah, this summer, but it wouldn't reallly matter untill I move to an area w/ broadband access, and that will be like, after college...

15. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I guess im just lucky that my uncle likes to have the best :D Which is why i had 4mb broadband but then my aunty moaned so now we only get 2mb but hey compared to dial-up I'm not complaining

16. Sniper

oh well, it will be worth the wait, I started building this site on 56K :) it was a pain to update the site and upload/download files.

17. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

yea i have dsl AND 56k cuz my moms bf screwed up the home network, but he doesn't like me using his dell, typically, i don't like using it too haha so im stuck with a 56k on my computer

18. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

For the money you're spending on that dialup access, you guys could have probably already bought a few inexpensive routers already. :p

19. oldandbald

oldandbald Geek Trainee

I am on cable 1 meg. Connect via wireless router and have laptop and 2 PC's connecting simultaneously without fuss :good:

20. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Right now, I'm on Verizon DSL. Here in a couple of months I may have to stick it out with 56k for awhile after I move. :( Which is going to make uploading stuff (especially any mobo reviews) a royal pain in the arse.