whats you internet connection speed?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Sniper, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

ok, thought could start a thread about, what kinda speeds you get from your internet connection :)

mine ADSL 1024/256K

speed test results @ adslguide.org.uk
    Downstream 928 Kbps (116.0 KB/sec) 1002 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 242 Kbps (30.3 KB/sec) 261 Kbps (inc. overheads)

not bad, hey?

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

not bad, but mines better
    4.3mb/sec cable-through comcast
    tested @ www.bandwidthplace.com

i usually download from a webiste such as fileplanet.com or D/L linux .iso's from linuxiso.org
    at about 400-680 kb/sec <bytes
    usual^ ^peak

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

DSLExtreme ADSL (through Verizon) -- $26/mo

1500KBPS Down
    394KBPS Up

Actual performance matches rated speeds... It just took me FOREVER to actually get Verizon to turn it on! :sick:

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Downstream 478 Kbps (59.8 KB/sec) 516 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 129 Kbps (16.1 KB/sec) 139 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Should be way better but I'm too far from the central so that's why it sucks so much.

My service is actually 3Mbps down and 800 kbps up.
    Extreme is 4mbps down and 800kbps up.

cable is 4.1mbps down and 820kbps up and extreme is 4.5mpbs down and 900kbps down....the cost is also extreme though...

5. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

600Kb/s Down & 128kb/s Up with NTL

download at around 81KB/s Download, Upload at around 20Kb/s

but i'm lucky i live about 20 meters from my local exchange :) (i get higher at times when people are not on) early morning ish.

would like better but Broadband is still extremely expensive here in the UK.

6. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

how much per month is the 4.3mb/s a second? Or are you at a college/whatever and don't have to pay.

i'm on 512kb, which i thought was fast til looking at your speeds...

yeah its damn expensive in the UK, I was paying £27.99 a month, til wanadoo brought out a 2gig bandwidth a month. That reduced it to £17.99, which is pretty good.

7. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

2GB download cap a month! OMG :eek: i wouldn't be able to survive on that, i have NTL who did cap their bandwidth at 1GB per day, they did not and do not actually cap their customers bandwidth just have a monitoring system that records how many times you exceed your 1GB per day limit, if u do it over and over again.. say 8 days in a row or something or 15 days every month, they send u a letter warning u..

its called the "acceptable use policy", although i have now exceeded my limit or must have done, my servers net connection reports me having downloaded over 26GB of data in the last 17 1/2 days.. !

and have never had letters.. if i did i'd tell em were to shove it. :good:

in the U.S u can get: 6mbps down & 1mbps up for the equivelant of £700 a year :O - that would cost you around £14,000 a year minimum over hear in the UK.

for the price i pay for my 600KBPS / 128KBPS line (£24.99) i could get a 3MBPS / 1MBPS line in the US.

now that is not fair. :mad:

8. Addis

Addis The King

i'm using a very very fast dial up connection. about 4kb/s download. :good:

9. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It's 4.1Mbps and it costs around $70 cad per month. Unlimited downloads/uploads. Add to that the cost of the modem and the installation, especially if you're not already with this company.

10. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

2 gig monthly usage is like 7 hours a day max. or so it said.

seems enough for me, i'm the only one that uses the net anyway.

damn, 14 grand a year....for internet usage.

11. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Wow! I wish I had that speed :eek: . With my dial-up I can only download things at about 2kb/s :swt:

12. Anti-Trend

Ouch! I feel for ya...

13. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

dude before i got broad band, i was on 0.26kb's if i was LUCKY. dunno now i coped before adsl.

14. Sniper

I'd never want to go back to dialup again! it hurts! lol I want to get a 2MB connection, but it would mean, no internet for around a week! I cant do that! :) hehe

15. Anti-Trend

Hmm, you can't talk your new ISP into supplying a temporary connection (i.e. dialup :() until your new one is up? 2MB would be very nice! I've only got a 1.5MiB/0.39Mib connection, and I like it quite a bit! 2MiB would just be that much nicer...

16. Sniper

I guess, it would be possible, but would only be able to use the net for a little while, because the telephone tends to get used alot!

anyway, I will see if they reduce the price in sept and decide if I want to stay! other ISP have a lower price!

In London you can get 4MB for £30 a month, which is cheaper than my 1MB, its by Bulldog ADSL I believe, but I've not read much about them!

17. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

i used to have 28.8k monem dialup. back then i didnt use a computer. now i know why.

18. Sniper

2MB now :)

19. Addis

Addis The King

I'm now on Blueyonder 256k service. They've done speed hikes from wihch 512kbs went to 750 and now its 1mbit. But since the 256k i'm on is only for web surfing/email they don't increase mine. :(
    For this its £19.99 mo and for 1mbit its £25. Only a fiver more for 4 times speed.

20. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

4MB and i dont pay a penny for it muwahahahahaha