Where did they go?

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by dannnyjos, Jun 3, 2005.

1. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Hi guys:

I've been having a weird problem for some days now. I have Win2000 Sp3, and for some reason my "thumbnail views" don't work anymore. I have no idea what I changed, if anything. Now, what's even more strange is that thumbnails work on Bmp files, but not with Jpegs :confused: . I mean, what the . . . Anyways, I've tried tinkering with Window's folder options and no luck. Anyone has any ideas on how I can get my thumbnails back? They were working fine a week ago.
    Thanks for your time.

2. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Totally wild guess, but if you've got a backup copy of the registry available, try reinstalling it and see if that restores the thumbnails.

3. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Thanks Penguin, that makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, I don't have a backup of my registry :eek:hah: .

4. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Maybe you do. I know that under XP there is a feature called System Restore that automatically saves copies of the registry. I don't know if there is a similiar system for 2000 but it's probably worth having a look.

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

No, there isn't an automatic feature of this nature in any versions of Windows besides ME and XP. Even so, a complete registry restore is a drastic step that's likely to cause more harm than good.

6. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Hey guys, I found the answer thanks to a friend that had the same problem with 2000. The solution was kind of . . . complicated, to me at least. But you did have to go into the registry. It seems to be a bug in Win2K and thank God Microsoft is aware of it. If you're interested in the solution here's is the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;243401

Anyways, thank you both for your input ;) .