Which card has the best TV-Out?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by daeghran, Aug 23, 2002.

1. daeghran

daeghran Geek Trainee

Hi,

I'm trying to find out which graphics card has the best TV-Out.

I'm currently using a GeForce2MX and the TV-Out works okay, but not that great.

Any/all opinions welcome.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What don't you like about your current TV-out?

3. daeghran

daeghran Geek Trainee

It works okay but I get horrible blueish flickering lines sometimes espacially when there's a lot of one color on the screen.

It uses the Chrontel 7008 chip which has a few problems.

Check this interesting article I found and you'll see what I mean.

Click Here

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The Philips chips work fine for what I've seen and are used by MSI and Gainward for companies off the top of my head.
    You might wanna look into an ATI Radeon 8500, as this does have TV out. You're limited to a resolution of 800x600, but I don't believe many TV's still have capabilities much above this---if that.

5. syngod

syngod Moderator

You might want to check out Sigma Designs XCard especially if your playing back divx 4/5 material.

That way you can have a hardware solution for divx/dvd playback and if the video out is anything like their Hollywood+ cards it should give you a nice clean image, of course the remote that comes with it doesn't hurt either :).

6. daeghran

daeghran Geek Trainee

Thanks, Syngod.

Nice looking card...but not really good for my purposes. I have a lot of DivX3.? movies which wouldn't show using this card. So I think I really need a card with a general TV-Out where all decoding is done by the PC.

7. syngod

syngod Moderator

I believe the XCard also does general TV-out it just also accelerates mpeg 4.

For a more general purpose card and for improving your overall graphics peformance as well, a GF4 MX or Radeon 8500 should be what your looking for.