Which Linux is for me?

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by cloud17, Jun 18, 2007.

1. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

Hi i was thinking of trying linux. i am going to use it for music, homework, surfing,
    and most importantly with something like cedega to play games like bf2 and hl2 etc. i was wondaring what would be the most commen linux for this matter.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If you want the most common (e.g. the most popular) distribution, go with Ubuntu. I use Debian, the distro upon which Ubuntu is based, but it may be more difficult for a new user. I think Deb's better though.

3. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

As Anti-Trend stated, Ubuntu is always a good choice for people new to linux. You will find all the software you will ever need, tons of support and how-to's online and a good community.

In addition to Ubuntu there are other VERY good alternatives.

MEPIS linux is wonderful and very easy to use. It is now based on Ubuntu but has unique features and performs well. It is so easy to configure and uses proprietary graphics drivers. This will be important to you because you will use this rig for gaming and you need 3D acceleration. Ubuntu makes you jump through hoops to install binary graphics drivers. It's for some very good reasons that it does this but its just an extra step.

PCLinuxOS is another fine candidate. It is extremely easy to use. It really is easier to install than windows (and faster), but just about any user friendly linux is easier to install than windows. PCLOS also has proprietary graphics drivers.

Also, note that all three have live CDs so you can download them and try each one to see which suits you best to make your own decission. That, in the end, is what matters.