Which mboard for Intel Core 2 DUO E6700 + NVIDIA 7950 GX2 gcard + PC7200 RAM?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by unclebob, Aug 2, 2006.

1. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

You can, just need to overclock your Processor, which wont be a problem. If you plugged your memory in, and plugged your processor in (both out of box). It would run at 800MHz. When you up your processor speed, it'll increase the FSB, which the memory is locked to.

Say you're on a track team. And you're the fastest guy. If you're at practice one day and the coach says you have to run with a buddy, you can only go as fast as the buddy. So how do you go faster? Well you'll have to condition your buddy to get faster and faster until he's as fast as the fastest you can go. One day, he might even be faster than you, but now he can only go as fast as you can because you still have to run together. As a group if you want to go even faster you will have to be conditioned to be able to catch up to him.

In this example you are the memory and he is the processor. Conditioning is just another term for overclocking. I hope that helps some.

2. unclebob

unclebob Geek Trainee

I see, so in your example its like giving my buddy a long term course of steroids (i.e. to overclock his processor)?

3. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

Sure, whatever makes him run faster. Normally it is an increase in vol7age (which is why heat is the big factor).

Please note that the Conroe Line has a partially unlocked multiplier for the E Series (ie E6300,E6400,E6600, and E6700), and fully unlocked multiplier for the X Series (X6800/X6900).

Using the multiplier to overclock your processor does not increase your bus speed. To go back to the example, let's say that the vol7age is Gatorade (eg something that gives him the extra edge) and the multiplier is steroids. Well, your coach does not allow steroids during the run. The steroids are great for anything not related to your buddy running with you. It makes him jump higher, compete in other events better, blah blah blah, but he cannot use it to increase the pace that you guys are running (remember you must run at the same speed) - it has no effect on his running ability. But that sip of Gatorade (vol7age) will give him that bump in speed to run with you.

Also remember that you can be forced to run faster as well, Gatorade can also help you there provided your buddy can keep up.

(It is coincidental that Gatorade's logo is a lightning bolt and I used it to represent vol7age - I tried to pick something related to running that would increase performance and Gatorade is all I could could come up with at first hand).

4. unclebob

unclebob Geek Trainee

Thanks dude, its all clear now! I'l let u know how it goes