Which OS do you use?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by megamaced, Mar 22, 2006.

?

Which OS do you use?

1. DOS/3.x

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. WIndows 95/98/ME

12.0%
  3. Windows NT/2000/XP/2003

80.0%
  4. Linux/Unix/BSD

52.0%
  5. Apple OS X/Classic

4.0%
  6. IBM OS/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Hehe, I'm not looking to start a riot! I'm genuinely interested in finding out whether this forum swings more towards Microsoft or Linux!

It's a multiple choice poll for those people who have a dual-boot setup, or more then one computer.

Although Linux is my main operating system, unfortunately I have a second computer running Windows. But this is only because of my forthcoming MCSE course! Otherwise I would have no need for Microsoft, or their vulnerable operating system!

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I use WinXP SP2.

3. Addis

Addis The King

XP SP2 and Linux. I have to use xp because of school and the fact i can't get the button to activate the wifi card to work.

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

win 98se, win xp sp2, mandriva
    oh, and ms pocket pc :p

5. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

XP Home for me, works for me. I bought a copy of SUSE 10 for a later install though.

7. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Hey, how does this poll sys works........100% to Windows NT/2000/XP/2003, 50% to Linux/Unix/BSD nd 25% to WIndows 95/98/ME.......................
    Out of how many????

8. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Mainly Win XP pro SP2 - for the squaters and for Video programs.
    Dual booting with Kubuntu and/or Mandriva...
    no I still have not made my mind up..... :confused:

9. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Don't u play any games, megamaced? I thought u pretty much have to have windows to play games.

and IR to poll, I have dual boot winxp pro sp1 and win98 SE, altho i haven't used the 98 in a long time now that I got used to XP and now that I found the program DosBox that makes old games work.

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i think XP is far too complicated for its own good, come back win9x, all is forgiven.

11. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

XP prof sp2 + Ubuntu but i didnt vote for tht because I didnt read the first post and see it was multiple choice before voting. Yeah I know Im and idiot

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Windows XP Home SP2 and Mandriva Linux LE 2005 - Need to upgrade to the 2006 version. Oh and Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC's.

13. Wouter

Wouter Big Geek

SuSe Linux 9.3 for... well, almost everything.

Windows XP for playing games, and surfing the net before/after playing a game.

14. Addis

Addis The King

You don't have to have Windows to play Windows games. Using an emulator like software called Cedega lets you play a wide range of new/old games in Linux.

15. Wouter

Wouter Big Geek

Unfortunately, not wide enough for me to give WinXpee the boot. Especially since I've got loads of old(er) adventure games, and Transgaming only seems to make an effort getting the latest and greatest to run. :(

16. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

transgaming may only support directx8/9 games. I'm not sure about this though
    there are tons of other linux based emulators for any console/handheld or you could emulate a windows emulator through wine if you really needed to

17. Someone28624

Someone28624 Big Geek

Windows XP SP2, Ubuntu 5.10, Mandriva 10.2.

18. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Wouldn't that really suck though? By that you mean using an emulator within an emulator, right? Cuz wine is an emulator to run windows programs right? So, for example, if I use DosBox emulator to run old games in windows, I'd use wine emulator to run the dosbox emulator to run an old game? Wouldn't that be really tough on resources?? I can't run everything on DosBox well. For example, I use up 100% of my resources to play Conquest of the New World and it still lags a lot. Granted, my computer is not new by any standards (only 1800+ amd athlon w/ 512mb ram) but still, wouldn't the whole emulator within emulator thing compound the resource hog by a lot?

19. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

I use XP Pro SP2, Mandriva 2006 Powerpack and Ubuntu.
    They do what i need, when i need, well, except windows :D

20. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I do run a Windows machine, but I rarely play anything more then a Genesis emulator!
    Actually I downloaded the free Wolfenstine - Enemy Territory the other day, that was the first thing I have played in a long time

DOSBOX is available for Linux too. Official SuSE RPMs are available for download. There are plenty of console emulators too for Linux, such as for N64, Playstation, SNES etc. Although I've had mixed success with these.

As for the poll.....damn! :x: It appears that Windows is still the dominant OS...