Which Should I get first?

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by wompshmack, Jul 9, 2007.

1. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

I'm upgrading my whole system, and since this is going to cost a lot of money I'm doing one upgrade this month, and one next month. I will be getting (I've FINALLY decided)
    An AM2 mobo with a Nforce 570 Ultra(I don't want sli) An Athlon 64 FX-62

AND

An nvidia geforce 8800(probably gts 320mb)

Now which of these things should I get first? The mobo/proc are going to cost about the same as the video card, so those are the 2 separate orders.
    Which of these will give me the biggest performance increase? Oh and in my current setup listed, Im not running SLI anymore, just one geforce 7300 gs.

2. OnStock

OnStock Geek Trainee

Go for 8800 GTS 320 MB. But before buying in ensure that your PSU will handle your setup with this GPU and FX-62. 6000+ is close to FX-62, but costs less.

3. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Even a 600w PSU is only gonna be like $60 tops, which is kinda change, compared to the other upgrades.I know I'm gonna need one eventualy, and I always account for a little extra budget for extras I might not have thought of when I start upgrading.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Unless it's after some copious rebates, you're not going to get a power supply you'd want to pair with an 8800-series card for $60. I don't know of any $60 600W PSU I'd even consider. One of the cheapest PSU's I'd recommend would be the Corsair 520HX. Newegg has it for $124.99 with a $20 mail-in-rebate. All said and done, that's like $110 with shipping.

5. xXSNIPERXx

xXSNIPERXx Geek Trainee

i would get the mobo first.. with the way things are lokoing with nVIDIA releasing a new series of GPU's the price might drop by then :)