Which type of RAM will motherboard support?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by DavidNW, Feb 22, 2006.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hello, all.

I want to increase the RAM in my PC. I have 1 memory stick (256 MB) and would like to place an additional stick on the ECS K7VMM+ 3.1 motherboard to bring the total up to 512 MB.

I don't know which type of RAM is in the PC. I ran a computer analysis tool check (Belarc), but it only told me that 'Slot '1' has 256 MB' - but didn't tell me the type.

Does anyone know which type/s would be compatible with the abovementioned motherboard? I have 3 memory slots remaining.

Any help would, as always, would be apprecited.

Thanks,

Dave

Does anyone

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That motherboard happens to support both DDR and SDR SDRAM (commonly referred to as just SDRAM). You can only use one type at a time, so if you have SDRAM instead of DDR, you'll want to buy a 512MB stick of DDR and yank out the SDRAM stick altogether.

SDRAM is likely going to be harder to find and probably going to be more cost effective to get a 512MB stick of DDR than to snag a second 256MB stick of SDR. Plus DDR has better performance.

3. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Many thanks, Big Bro.

That's a great help - I'll do as suggested.

Dave.

4. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

P.S.

After getting some very good advice from Big Bro, I took the cover off my PC to check exactly which type of RAM is installed on my computer. It turns out to be DDR PC2100 I84 PIN - DDR being the RAM Big Bro suggested - I thought, well, I now only need to buy 1 stick of DDR to bring the memory up to 512MB. Being the impetuous person that I am, I went on E bay and bought a stick of 256MB PC3200 DDR 400 MHZ CL3 184 PIN RAM.

I have since learned that (probably too late) mixing RAM speeds may cause running problems. Has anyone an opinion on this? Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dave

5. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Go ahead and try it, many time the faster RAM will simply clock down and the computer will run fine.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

RAM speeds are like tire ratings. They're guaranteed to work correctly upto a certain speed. A tire rated for 150MPH will run perfectly fine at 40MPH, you just won't get full use out of it. Where you're most likely to run into issues is if you want to run your PC2100 RAM at PC2700 speeds, for example. Unless it's something like an enthusiast-grade RAM (like Corsair's XMS, OCZ XTC, Patriot XBL, Crucial Ballistix, etc), you're probably not going to get it to overclock that much.

If you are mixing speeds, the best way to avoid issues would be to have the slower stick in the first DIMM slot, and put the newer ones in the following slot(s).

7. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Thank you both, your help is fully appreciated.

Dave :)

8. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hello, everyone.

I have just installed the second stick of 256MB memory (mentioned in this thread). On checking 'System Properties' in Windows XP, the now recorded total memory is: 480MB.

I've never installed memory before, so my 'newbie' logic tells me that 'System Properties' should now show: 512MB of memory, as I have two 256MB sticks installed.

I seem to recall that when I checked to see which type of RAM I had in the computer before (when there was only 1 256MB stick), that 'System Properties' said I had less than 256MB.

Everything seems to be running fine - but if anyone knows why the above situation should be, I would, as ever, be appreciative of your comments.

Many thanks

Dave.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Are you using the integrated graphics on the motherboard? If so, as with most all graphics that come on a motherboard, it does not come with it's own RAM and siphons off some of the system RAM for it's own use. You should be able to adjust this amount in BIOS. Where, I don't know, but the manual should say. My best guess is that you'd want to look under "Integrated Perpherals" (or something similar), which should be an option from the main BIOS screen.

However, if you want to have all of the 512MB dedicated to the system, then you'll want to buy a separate video card.

10. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hi, Big Bro.

My motherboard is an ECS K7VMM+ 3.1 and I have a S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR [Display adapter]. I hope this describes if I'm using
    'integrated graphics,' as you say - as I'm not too sure I know what that fully means.

I'll check out the recommendations you have made, and thanks for your help.

Dave.

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah. The S3 is integrated into your chipset. I had to look at the archives on ECS Website, but I suspected that it might be the case when you mentioned the RAM showing up under Windows with less than the full 512MB.

12. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Many thanks for looking up that piece of info for me, Big Bro, it was good of you and it explains the siphoning of of RAM.

Dave.

13. Rory

Rory Geek Trainee

Hello people,

I desperately want more RAM but im not sure what my computer can support besides what is already in it.
    I have a VIA VT8235 (or KM266) motherboard with one stick of 256MB DDR PC2100 266MHz RAM. This RAM is old and i'd like to know what alternatives I can use.
    I want at least 512MB all up. Thank you from Rory;)

14. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hi, Rory.

I recently upgraded my PC RAM from 1 stick of 256MB DDR (PC2100 266MHz RAM) to 512MB. The second stick of RAM I used was 256MB (PC3200 400 MHz). I have been advised that mixing RAM speeds can cause running problems, but I have had no trouble.

If you mix speeds, I understand that the higher speed RAM clocks down to the speed of the slower RAM - and that it's a good idea to put your slower speed RAM in the first RAM slot on the motherboard (1st slot from the processor) - (see Big Bro's post in this thread for additional advice on this subject).

However, I have heard that it's generally regarded as 'good practice' to stick with the same speeds for all your RAM (and of course, only one type of RAM can be used).

If you want to know how much RAM your computer can support - download this free program: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html It will run an analysis of your PC and tell you how many RAM slots are available + a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware.

I hope this is of some help.

15. Rory

Rory Geek Trainee

Hey DavidNW, thanks for the advice but the program didnt help much.
    Would you advise me to get 256MB PC3200 400MHz DDR RAM like you and is your computer faster now?
    Or on the other hand should I just throw my RAM out the window and just get a single stick of 1GB RAM maybe? And could it be any type of RAM considering theres no RAM mixed in with it?

Rory.

16. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Yes, my computer is faster now and I'm very pleased with the upgrade. If you do as I did and mix RAM speeds, the thing to remember is (as I've been told), the quicker RAM will clock down to the speed of the slower RAM.

Given this, logic should dictate that buying quicker RAM to work alongside slower RAM (of which, the former is probably going to be more expensive than slower RAM) is a waste of the extra money.

I only mixed RAM speeds on my PC because I bought the wrong speed by mistake. However, it all worked out okay - albeit probably cost me more money.

Personally, I would have gone for the same RAM speeds for more compatibility had I not made a mistake when I ordered the new RAM.

Alternatively, you could dispense with your old stick of 256MB PC2100 and just put a 512MB or 1GB stick of PC2100 in its place.

I don't know which other types of RAM that your motherboard supports, but I'm told that DDR RAM (which you have in at the moment) is faster & better than SDRAM (which your motherboard might also support) - but remember whatever you buy that you can only use one type of RAM in your PC. RAM types cannot be mixed, but RAM speeds can (although this is generally not recommended and can cause problems). The BeLarc analysis tool should tell you how many available memory slots you have on your motherboard so that you can weigh up your options.

You could of course, keep the 256MB DDR PC2100 stick and buy further sticks of DDR PC2100 to upgrade to the desired amount of RAM (if you have the available RAM slots on the motherboard). This is probably a more cost-effective way of upgrading the RAM. If you throw away your existing RAM - it's money down the drain - perhaps that needs to be considered.

17. Rory

Rory Geek Trainee

Hey,

Before I got your reply I remembered Ebay!
    Ebay has all the different types of RAM at really low prices!
    And thanks for the info about mixing RAM and everything, it was very helpful.
    See ya, from Rory.:)