why is the bios doing this?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by palmonetungsten, Mar 3, 2005.

1. palmonetungsten

palmonetungsten Geek Trainee

I'm trying to overclock my penium 4 cpu on my Hewlet packerd pavilion 750c.
    It is 1.8 ghz and when I try to get to the cpu settings they are grey and I can't get to them. I have award bios on it. can anybody help me?

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

You can't change clock speeds in Manufactured speeds due to manufacturer's request. You may be able to find a 3rd party BIOS for that motherboard and flash the bios to it.

3. palmonetungsten

how do I do that? is there a certian bios I need? where can I get it? how do I flash it?

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Most OEM motherboards are not manufactured by the OEM, but rather bought in bulk from another company. Usually the model number is actually branded somewhere on the motherboard, even if the manufacturer's name is not. The exception is Dell, who goes so far as to modify the motherboards so they're incompatible with most non-Dell hardware. If you can find the model number on the Mobo, Google it and see if you can find the manufacturer's website.

To flash your bios, you'll need to format a floppy. Throw a floppy in good condition into your floppy drive, then type the following in a DOS shell:
    Code:
    format a: /s
    Next, download the latest BIOS revision from the motherboard manufacturer, along with the accompanying flash tool for your type of BIOS. Unzip and copy those files to the new bootable floppy. Set your BIOS to boot from your floppy drive, and boot to it. Pray. Follow the flash tool's instructions to flash your new BIOS over the old. Pray some more. Reboot.

Good luck! :good:

5. palmonetungsten

I downloaded some software that gave me all the info I need. It is an asus p48266la. so I will try to do that complicated flash install of a new bios that I semi understand.

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If you get warnings from the flash tool like, "Warning! BIOS/CMOS mismatch! Continue?" cancel what you're doing; continuing can effectively destroy your motherboard. You may have the wrong BIOS for your motherboard.