Why never to buy a pentium D

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by cloud17, Jun 15, 2007.

1. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

If anyone is thinking of going for a cheep system and think pentium D is gona be the best option dont... Forget that they go up to 3.4ghz i thought that would make it fast but you will find its slower than maby a 2ghz core 2 duo. secondly they are extremely hot as my pentium d idles at 50'c in cold room, and if i majorly stress it with a game like supremecommander it crashs after 5-10mins. i hope you see this before buying one as i am very disapointed :mad:

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

A Pentium 4 is a Pentium 4 Dual core and were released some time before the C2D so its ok that there like a 2ghz C2D, they proberbly are not as fast as a 2ghz C2D tho. The best CPU's for a budget system now are the E6320, E6420, E4300, 4400, 2140 and 2160

3. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

just adding to the pentium D is very hot i just got back from tea min ago minamized HL2 that had been open and saw my pentium was up to a whoping 75'C and that was in on pause not even playing.

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

That cant be right, 75 degrees is far too hot, could be a faulty temperature sensor, you got thermal paste applied correctly on the CPU? Also check the HSF is on properly.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I agree. Under load on both cores, my Pentium D 920 hits 52*C, maybe 53, and the temp is around 90*F outside. With stock cooling.

I'd definitely take a look at the cooling. Supreme Commander is pretty brutal on CPU usage, and even Core 2 users have complained about it. Still, the crashing is a good sign there's a cooling issue somewhere. Poor airflow in the case or a improperly mounted cooler, I can't say. However, I'd definitely look in that direction.

6. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

well i didn't personly build my pc it came prebuilt and it has stock cooler and paste i think, also i have no vent in my case and its open...

(Add) also after playing HL2 and i touch the heatsink it is very hot so i think the sensor is right, maby i should clean it out and maby look to buying new paste and cooler when i get the money.. but im sorta suppost to be saving up lol spent to much resently

7. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

dam im really srry but those temps i ahve been posting are my graphics card...
    i realised that my processor was clogged with dust and cleaned it out so thats fine but is up to 80*c on a ati saphire x1950 pro pci-e acceptable?

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah. Video cards run hotter than a CPU. I don't know what ATi's limits are, but nVidia seems to okay the temps over 100*C.