Will an MSI875p neo mb'd support 400Gb ?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by DBenz, Sep 3, 2007.

1. DBenz

DBenz Geek Trainee

Just wondering what I can get away with on my MSI 875P neo FS2R m'board (spring 2004 was when I bought it, it was top of the charts at the time, great reviews and spec.) MSI site says ok for upwards of 160Gb, odd that (misprint ?) as tests are with 40, 60 80 160 and a 200Gb !..so assume 200Gb is ok.
    I run two HD's, a 160 and an 80 on it, with a caddy holding 400Gb partitioned 220 and 180. Not sure if the 400 causes Delayed Write Fail messages, they are mostly McAfee..spydata.dat file not written so nothing huge then !:chk:

Does anyone have stable experience with HDs of 400Gb or more on an MSI 875P neo or similar motherboard from early 2004 ? Just what are boards from then capable of. Would a bios update give larger HD support ?

DBenz

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Is your drive louder than normal or making a strange clicking sound by any chance?

i would imagine any 2004 mobo will be fine, the only computer that I've ever had that had a problem was my first one (build from oooold, spare parts).

I don't know the prices of ATA hard drives atm, but i tend to find the best prices are on the 500GB SATA drives (£ per GB)

3. DBenz

DBenz Geek Trainee

The drives are not failing as such, no noises,all v quiet Seagates, just that I wish for better performance and capacity and failed SP2 install cocking up PC forces a change and a chance to go SATA. Mb'd not built for SATA300. My concern was I didnt want to invite trouble by geting 400Gb HDs for a board only stable with 200Gbs. I can only see 160Gb 8Mb cache, if I wanted to play safe it means a lowly 8Mb cache and the 400s I have been getting for the caddy were 16Mb cache, but then if > 200 causes problems nothing gained there. Could the caddy 400 be the fly in the ointment ? Testing tonight with caddy turned off.
    Basically though are Hds greater than 200Gb ok in mbds from circa 2004 ?
    I wonder what the limit is, cant see them taking a 1000Gb drive !
    DBenz

4. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

i believe it was something to do with running out of addresses for any storage over <amount>, hence why alot of hard drives have a jumper to cap the visable storage space available on the drive to that amount.