Will this run doom3 ok?

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Jonatham, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Jonatham

Jonatham Geek Trainee

amd2500+
    corsair XMS pc3200 512
    ati 9600se

thinkin of heading out to buy it this afternoon it looks so cool. but i will be dissappointed if i run it all jerky and stuff... I odnt care if i have to run it all the way down as long as i can get it running smooth i would like to get it.

what do you think?

Jona

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

yeah it'll run ok - tests show that doom runs on a mx440 card, so it will play at least.

however, the se editions of gfx cards are absolute shite. you may want to invest in a 9800pro card for around 130 quid, or a 9600xt for around 100. depends if you want to upgrade. aside from that, all ok!

3. Jonatham

Jonatham Geek Trainee

thnx waffle, I think it would have to run pretty bad for me not to get it hehe, looks too cool to pass up. yes i do want to upgrade, maybe for xmas ill go ahead and finally get that 9800xt assuming it will drop in price enough.. I hope i can run it in the meantime well enough to get some enjoyment out of it tho.

jona

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The only thing that could be an issue is that 9600SE. Basically it's a castrated version of the regular 9600 because the memory bus is halved from 128-bits to 64. But I know a 9600XT can handle it, because that's what I'm running.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

You'll be fine. There's no way a 9600SE is slower than an mx440, even though faster would be a lot better.

6. Jonatham

Jonatham Geek Trainee

thanks guys, im playing d3 now it runs alot better than i was afraid of it running im happy and the game is nice, cept i hate those damn fireball throwers! welp back to killing off hellspawn

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Word has it the 4.9 Catalyst drivers give some nice improvements in Doom 3.

8. Addis

Addis The King

i've been on holiday. has D3 been released?

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yup. Been so since August 3/4 here in the US/Canada. Not sure about other parts of the world. I should have my review up soon, btw.

10. Tim Wiseman

Tim Wiseman Geek Trainee

I dont think its out in the UK yet btw, but my mate got it imported from the states.

As for specs, I have a 128MB Radeon 9800 pro and it sucks as far as doom is concerned (otherwise a great crad, esp farcry!).

If you want the best from Doom its going to cost you a lot in terms of gfx cards. Get a spanking new Nvidia card. My 9800 pro only runs well in medium quality setting at 800x600 with AA off !!! - thats how heavy the game is. Rest assured it will run on lower specs, my athlon64 laptop with 9600 radeon card runs it, but at 640x480 and low quality !!

still, great game and when i win the lottry and get a brand new card, I will be leaving my missus..........

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, if you want to run with AA and AF ed up, you need a heavy hitter. The good news is that the 6800LE and 6600 and 6600GT cards should offer more reasonable prices for $200 or less. And still run D3 at 1600x1200. A solid investment without having to sell a kidney if that's true.

12. Tim Wiseman

Tim Wiseman Geek Trainee

Yeah, I have a theory on that... Im not saying its true.. just my own personnal theory...

I think that cards pre 6800 dont have the hardward features for doing all the fancy effects and therefor I think the older cards emulate it... that causes the performance to be cr4p. But if you turn down the quality settings so that those effects arent used, you get your performance back again.... Thus, any new card which supports the new effects should run it pretty well.... althought thats kinda obvious because a new card is a new card and should by its definition kick ass !

I guess what Im trying to say is that a decent older card, like a 9800 will run it on low quality even at higher resolutions and with AA on, but if you turn the quality settings up- your stuffed...

13. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well I have a 9800 Pro 128mb and run the game in 10x7 at high settings and very rarely get below 30 fps.

what cpu do you have ? How much memory ? etc

14. Tim Wiseman

Tim Wiseman Geek Trainee

Ello !

Erm, not a bad PC, its a BArton 2500 with dual DDR RAM on a Gigabyte motherboard (this sucks, avoid like the plague I say!) twin 10k Seagate drives in RAID 0, on an nforce2 Chipset....

Maybe I need to tweak my driver settings (or just junk my motherboard!)

hehe

15. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I guess my oc does that much of a difference. I'd try a driver reinstall or a format if I were you.