win 2003 help

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by curtis20, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curtis20

curtis20 Guest

A friend mine installed win 2003 and and started a webpage with dreamweaver 8. he cannot figure out where to put the folder for images?? jpegs

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

So he's running IIS for some reason? Hint: The web server and the operating system are two totally different things. I am guessing he's running IIS, because that's the web server Windows comes bundled with, although it's not as good as Apache which is free.

3. curtis20

curtis20 Guest

He is running iis for ftp ing. he is building a website and he has loaded it but the images will not show up. how does he do that? he has ben working on it all day he even said that if you could help he would even give you full access to his pc :) will apache work on port 8080 though?

thank you very much for the fast reply we really need help :)

4. curtis20

curtis20 Guest

5. Anti-Trend

Well, Apache is not an FTP server, it is an HTTP server. But you can suppliment it with ProFTPD, which is awesome. And yeah, Apache can run on 8080, although that port is typically reserved for HTTP proxy which is a favorite target of crackers for obvious reasons. There is a reason the vast majority of webservers online today run apache rather than IIS. Many people don't like IIS because of its poor speed and relative lack of flexibility, but the reason I dislike it is its wretched security track record.

In fact I have an Apache web server running on my home network, which can be found using this URL: http://anti-trend.homelinux.org

It only took me a few minutes to get apache set up and running, and I haven't had a security breach since it has been running. The system is a junky old AMD K6-2 ~500MHz w/256mb RAM running apache on Linux, and it never comes close to running out of resources. The limiting factor on the loading time of pages served by it is my bandwidth.

6. curtis20

curtis20 Guest

ok where can i find Apache for windws 2003

7. Anti-Trend

By looking at the source of the website you linked to, I can tell with assurance that the code is wrong, not so much the webserver.
    Code:
    IMG SRC="[email protected]/UNTITL~1/Untitled_1/IMAG009.JPG
    That tells me you have a crazy relative path to the images which needs to be corrected.

8. Anti-Trend

9. curtis20

curtis20 Guest

ok where do i enter that code (if that is a code to eneter) do you have skype? you are very helpful :)

would you conisder going into his pc. he said he will give you the password. and just check out how he has thinsg configured? thank you

10. Anti-Trend

That code is from your friend's web page, I didn't make it up. :) I was trying to illustrate that the path to his pictures was horribly wrong and needed to be adjusted in order for them to display correctly (on any webserver, not just IIS).

I don't have Skype, but you can see my contact info in my profile. Feel free to drop me a line, but the more we can post publicly like this the more others will benefit from it.

All the best,
    -AT

11. curtis20

curtis20 Guest

alright since it is horribly wrong what should we do and how do we do it ?
    you say drop you line? did u mean phone call ? and yes i understand how other would benifit and thats really good . but we are so lost. thanx

12. curtis20

curtis20 Guest

Hello?????:(

13. Anti-Trend

Don't be impatient, this is a forum not an IRC channel or a chat room. Stuff doesn't always happen in realtime here.

Anyway, the path to the pictures is wrong, I don't really know how to explain that any more clearly. You have to put the pictures someplace and have the HTML point towards that place. If this concept eludes you, to be bluntly honest you shouldn't be hosting any public web services. These are very basic concepts, not matters to be learned from help forums. Learn these things first, or else pay somebody who knows what they're doing to do it for you. Otherwise your server will be owned before you know it, and it'll be attacking innocent networks and sending out spam in no time.

I may sound harsh, and if so I apologize. But think of it this way: If you want to drive on public roads with other people, you must be a minimum age, pass a driving test to show at least minimal competency, and have a valid driver's license. Yet if you want to host a public website, all you just need is a PC and an Internet connection. Just like an unqualified driver on the road, an unskilled administrator hosting web services is a dangerous thing. Have some consideration for others on the Internet and please for goodness sake learn a bit about what you're doing before you do it.

14. curtis20

curtis20 Guest

yeah thats what i thought forums were for to learn . and you were no help whats so ever i have plenty of help on this forum and you as an admin are no good . thank you for nothing we were looking for honest help. and it is not me looking for this help it is a friend and he does no alot about what he is doing but he is not to familier with this certain program. i wasnt trying to be rude it was just that you were responding fast all the other times and i thought you gave up on us (which you did) i think you should shut your mouth and get get off this forum. because forum=help and u are not doing that. all you are doing is calling us stupid in nice terms. does that make you feel good. you see how manys posts i have they are posts i have made and got help from. from better members then you... you will not catch me on this forum ever again because of your lack of kindness

15. Anti-Trend

That's fine, and I for one won't miss you. Frankly I'm tired of people who think they're entitled to something. Here's a clue for you: YOU AREN'T ENTITLED TO ANYTHING. We're hosting this site as a public service, out of our own pockets and with our own spare time. We help hundreds of people every week for no other reason to help others, and we do it anonymously. You cop this attitude like you're not getting the service you deserve, as if we owed you something. If you wanted me to hold your hand and wipe your hindquarters, you've got a big dissapointment coming. I gave you my honest advice and I stand behind it. If you don't know what a gas pedal is, you shouldn't be driving. Likewise if you don't know what a relative path is, you shouldn't be hosting a web service. Read a book, get a clue, and then feel free to ask me about such things. Until then, maybe some other forum will tolerate you.

All the best,
    -AT

Waffle: Owned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.