Win Registry ?

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by dannnyjos, Feb 3, 2006.

1. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Hey guys. I would like your input on a prbolem that came up today on my PC. Last night it was working fine, but this morning when I turned it on, windows would not load. After the Win 2000 screen comes on when it's loading Windows I get some sort of "Blues screen of death". Then white letters that say:

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    The Registry cannot load the hive (file)
    \Systemroot\System32\config\SOFTWARE
    or its log or alternate.
    It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.​

Then inmediately after that the PC restarts by itself. This goes on and on in an endless loop. I tried "Safe Mode", "Last good known configuration", even "Safe Mode with command prompt", and the only thing I noticed is that when all the listed files are loading the system halts on "WINNT\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys. Then the blues screen comes up again.
    The thing is that in the last 3 days I havent made any change to the system. Haven't uninstalled/intalled anything. Neither have I modified the "Startup" options in MSCONFIG.

So, any ideas of what could have happened? I was about to reinstall Windows but have very important information in there. Is there anyone here familiar with the Registry and stuff so that it can be repaired before loading Windows?

Ok guys, thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Addis

Addis The King

I suppose if your data hasn't been encrypted using NTFS then you can transfer your hard disk to another computer as a slave and then backup your data there, you can't repair your installation now. Its just a case of reinstalling.

Or alternatively, you can use a live CD of a linux distribution and read your files frm linux. You won't have to go into your PC then, if you want more information ask. :)

3. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Yeah, I used a regular IDE and booted from there. Got all my important DATA, thanks. Then reinstalled Win2K and everything is fine so far. I was wondering if that HD was defective since I had bought it just a week ago. It was a Maxtor, but who knows.

Another thing. Do any of you guys think that defragmenting the HD too often damages the drive? I mean, I usually defragment it like 5 times a week. Sometimes even more. Do you think that might have caused the problem?

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

5 times a week!!!! Are you crazy! You only need to defrag your hard drive ONCE A MONTH! The NTFS file system does not defragment as much as FAT, so the need to run the defragmenter is less. If you are installating & copying a lot of files, then the need to defragment is greater, but only once a month like I said.

Running the Windows Defragmenter does put a lot of stress on a hard drive, but on the other hand, leaving files in a fragmented state puts a lot of un-needed stress also. It's a bit of a catch 22 situtation.

5. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Yeah, I've doing some searchng in google and even the experts cannot agree on how ofen a Hard Driver should be defragged. It's just like doctors still dont agree on which is the perfect diet. I guess I'll just stay in the middle and defrag my HD every 2 weeks or so.

Anyways, thanks for your inputs guys ;) .

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

[ot]This reminds me of an article, you might find this informative. :)[/ot]

7. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Nice read Anti-Trend :good: