WIN2K to XP Templates Problems

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ProcalX, Jun 28, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Recently my work place has acquired new computers (hp's) we were orginally working on Windows 2000 SP4 (whatever latest was) + Office 2000 Standard (SP3), the new machines have XP Pro SP1 on, i have installed Office 2000 Standard, patched the machines e.t.c

we have a large VPN network and for some reason alot of the XP machines will not print out the companies standard word templates properly, the format in WORD has not been changed at all, none of the printers have been changed.. and they are all patched exactly the same as the WIN2K machines.

The templates are printed out onto high quality personalised paper for letters e.t.c and when printing are now printing out misaligned..

any ideas?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

The variable has to be XP. One of the more annoying traits of XP is the fact that it automatically finds & installs *EVERYTHING* that it can on the network. Sometimes these XP boxes grab printers they shouldn't, and that obviously causes problems on occasion. As you know, MS Office formats differently depending on what printer is set as default. What I would do is verify that the default printer on the machines in question have not changed from what they should be. If in fact that's not the problem, if policy allows I would install OpenOffice.org on at least one of the machines in question and try and print out the same files that way. At least then you'd be able to narrow the problem and make it easier to troubleshoot.

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

well i figured XP had installed it's built in driver for the printer, subsequently it was misaligning, downloaded new official XP Pro driver, and its fine now.

just brought a Artic Cooler GRPHX cooler :D for my 9600XT and a 160GB Maxtor SATA 7200rpm 8mb :D

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Ahhh, nice one. I really should have thought of that, considering I've seen that problem before!