Windows 2000 Infected

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by generalsecord, Jul 31, 2005.

1. generalsecord

generalsecord Geek Trainee

dell laptop

my grandson just stopped by he asked me to fix his laptop.when he turns it on all he gets is errors.he is right iturned it on ,got errors seems he was running it without any virus protection.he has no installation cd and is running windows 2000.all you get is exe errors.wont let you go any place on the computer.is it a lost cause or can it be fixed.
    thanks george :confused:

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If I was you, I'd track down the install disc, reformat and completely reinstall the operating system. It sounds pretty hosed, and there are some pretty aggressive virii out there these days that can't be removed once they're in. If it was a pirated operating system to begin with, you may need to purchase a legal copy of Windows 2000. I do recommend W2k over any other version of Windows, as long as you supplement it with a firewall, antivirus software, and some good anti-spyware tools.

If you can't afford Windows, you might consider running Linux on the laptop. It does have a bit of a learning curve, but once it's set up it 'just runs'. It's very stable, is immune to virii, trojans, spyware, etc, and it's free (and will always remain free) under the terms of the GPL. Kubuntu is a good place to start for the beginner. You can try out the 'Live' version to see if you like it; just boot to the CD, and it will run straight off disc with no installation -- your hard drive will remain unchanged. If you find that you like it well enough, you can use the 'Install' version and replace Windows on the hard drive, making Kubuntu the full-time operating system.

All the best,
    -AT

3. generalsecord

thanks can a cd be burned. i cant get to the internet for the laptop.how would i get this on that laptop
    thanks george

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

a file could have got corrupted, a virus might have been installed when a program was installed, has he put any programs on there from and cd's from magazines? sometimes they have something lurking in there to infect it, i happened to me before :swear:

generalsecord likes this.
  5. generalsecord

would like to put kubuntu on the laptop ,but cant get to the internet to do this from the laptop.is there a way i can down load a cpy and cd boot it on his laptop
    thanks george

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Sure, all you must do is download the '.ISO' image, and open it with quality CD-Burning software, such as Nero Burning ROM. If you don't have broadband, you could always buy a pre-burned, silk-screened CD from a retailer for about $5. Or, ask a buddy with broadband to download & burn it for you. :)

Just keep in mind the differences between the 'Live' and 'Install' versions of the OS. A Live version is for evaluation, which will not run as fast as the install version due to running directly from the CD-ROM drive. And the Install version will install Kubuntu directly to your HDD and replace the existing OS. We have a forum here dedicated to Linux support, so feel free to post there if you have any difficulties.

All the best,
    -AT