Windows 7 svchost.exe high CPU usage

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by justin5609, Nov 4, 2009.

1. justin5609

justin5609 Geek Trainee

After running anything that requires any CPU power ( Youtube, flashgames, Java, ANY pc game like Counter Strike, Left 4 dead etc) svchost.exe uses a lot of my CPU ( 50% +) and stays like it even after closing whatever I was running, I always have to reboot. This has only happened in the last few weeks.
    Browser: Firefox

Things I've tried:
    Downloading processor explorer and checked what is hogging the CPU under svchost, it turned out to be critical services I cannot end. (Picture below)

Scanned with Malware Bytes & Microsoft SE ( Both updated, showed clean, multiple times)

Defragged my HDD, cleaned my registry, Windows is up to date expect for 1 Windows Update that will not install (When it configures after I reboot it fails and reverts changes, every time)

Scanned with Hijackthis (Log below)

No luck.

Hijackthis log:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any help. :D

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

What CPU does your computer have? Svchost.exe is a critical system component, and can't be stopped.

3. justin5609

justin5609 Geek Trainee

Yes I know, but some of the processes that run under it can be, but there isn't any that I can see that are ad-normal.

AMD Athlon x2 6400+ @ 3.2ghz (stock)

4. macbeton

macbeton Guest

As I allready said in some forums - XP is currrently the only usable OS from M$!
    I have 5600+ X2 AMD and use XP (64-bit) and some Linux (currently Mepis, before there was PCLinuxOS, and before that - Ubuntu). Haven't got any problem at all.
    In your system I see pretty much useless .exe running. No wonder you got some virus too. Try free.avg.com and clamwin.com OR if you are an advanced user, upload the suspicious files to VirusTotal - Free Online Virus and Malware Scan

5. justin5609

justin5609 Geek Trainee

As I said I already scanned with two anti-virus, but if you're sure I'll try AVG.

6. justin5609

justin5609 Geek Trainee

Scan is clean.

7. Sol

Sol Geek Trainee

justin5609
    Disable NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service.