Windows Approaching Desktop Usability

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Anti-Trend, May 28, 2005.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

In an obvious jab against the "Linux isn't ready for mainstream" crowd, Slashdot editor Robin "roblimo" Miller compares and contrasts Windows XP Home edition against several mainstream Linux distros. Although Linux is known to have a strong footing in the server niche, this article focuses squarely on desktop usability. Here's the first bit:

" Every year or so I like to see how Microsoft is doing in its attempt to make a desktop operating system as usable as Linux. Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, with Service Pack 2, is a tremendous improvement over previous Windows versions when it comes to stability and appearance, but it still has many glitches that keep it from being competitive with GNU/Linux for everyday users, including a tedious installation procedure, lack of productivity software included with the operating system, hardware compatibility problems, and a price so much higher than any of the Linux distributions I've tested lately that I don't feel this product is a good value for most home or small office users. "

Obviously the author takes a bit of a tongue-in-cheek approach to the 'review', but I have truthfully made many of the same observations in my own experiences. A very entertaining and perhaps even enlightening article. Catch the rest over at NewsForge.

See Also: A related article from roblimo.