windows movie maker

Discussion in 'General Software' started by II Gorn II, Feb 26, 2009.

1. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

movie maker wont let me save my video i made

the source files are still in the same location and work

its not to large

and the saving destination still exists because i've tried to save it to certain folders and desktop

anyone got an idea :chk:

EDIT - donno if it matters but it makes it to 16% every time then the troubleshooting thing or w/e it is pops up

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

do you get any error messages?

3. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

just the thing saying your movie couldnt be save

then to check the things i listed above

Attached Files:

4. Sniper

sounds like it might be running out of disk space, how much HDD space do you have left? try saving to a external USB drive if available.

5. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

i have 128GB left of my disk i could try saving it to my flash drive an see if that works tho

nope flash drive failed to

my essential codec updated like halfway threw making the movie could that have possibly screwed it up ?

6. Sniper

whats the file size of the source video file?

7. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

theres two source video files one is 13.4MB and the other is 27.2MB

8. Sniper

its a possibility, try re-installing the codes. (or leaving them un-installed)

9. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

nope still failed donno ive always hated movie maker

know any good free movie editing software ?

10. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

another movie maker question

me and my buddy have a school project an he edited it and it saves on his computer but anyways

he burnt it to a cd and a dvd and both work if there put into a computer but not in a dvd player

any suggestions on that :chk:

11. Sniper

whats the format of the video your friend is burning?

12. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

probably what ever movie maker would default it as

id have to go to his to find out cause he probably doesn't know

13. Sniper

make sure its MPEG-2

this looks good for dvd burning DVD Flick or you could try nero, it will handle everything for you when burning dvds.

14. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

now should he save it to his computer and burn it to a disk with nero or windowmedia player

or should he just save it to a disk from moviemaker

15. Sniper

use nero to burn, it has the option to convert the video to the correct format used in DVDs.

16. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

alright ill try that tonight when i go to his house

17. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

so i searched some forums an got some bs but finally i looked on youtube

and some guy said reinstalling the windows service pack would fix it some ima go try that

18. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

it worked so if anyone else has this problem try reinstalling service pack 3

19. Roy Vickers

Roy Vickers Geek Trainee

Hello. Regarding saving project movie files and clips - I am in no way an expert in the problems of WMM, although I ought to be given the number of hours I have spent trying to get the programme to deliver. I have finally concluded that once WMM finds a problem it doesn’t like, it just stops! Doesn’t tell you ‘why’ or how to fix it.

I think I would have read every word in every Forum and also read every ‘Help’ file. Eventually, I find a way round it, mostly with the help of you guys out there. This is why I want to report a discovery I made with my current project.

I understand about ‘source files’ and ‘changing file location’, but one size doesn’t fit all. To prove this, and whilst trying to solve the present ‘Can’t Save’ issue, I realised that there were a number of files that were at issue.

As most of you do. I tried to save a clip at a time – laborious, but what can you do? I eventually found maybe one or two clips in each of the files that would not save. So, I isolated that file, dragged only that clip to the ‘time line’, and tried to save. Of course, it wouldn’t, but at least I knew that it had nothing to do with the aforementioned ‘solutions’.

Each file played in WMP without a problem. All these files I had downloaded from YouTube using M3Rocket (a great FREE programme) in the WMV format. Out of 50 files, about 5 or 6 failed to save.

They all played in WMM, but wouldn’t save. However, when I looked closer at the ‘time line’ I realised that the audio ‘Wave Pattern’ had disappeared, although the audio still played.

I retraced my steps with a new download and the problem repeated itself. So I then downloaded it using AVI format and there was no further problem. I even converted the AVI back to WMV (using Prism – another great FREE programme) and, although I got almost double the clips, and a much larger file, it all still worked.

In conclusion, this is not a solution to the problem, but it does give you a new place to investigate for a solution. Therefore, I just wanted to contribute my experience as a thank you to all those who helped me. Good Luck!

20. xhaun

xhaun Geek Trainee

Thanks GOD I have succesfully made it ....thanks to this forrum! thank you guys