Windows refund

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by RHochstenbach, Feb 2, 2007.

1. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

A friend of mine bought Vista last week. He has activated it. But he doesn't like it anymore (too many bugs and very unstable), and wants a refund. Is this still possible after it was activated? It is Windows Vista Home Premium full version. Or would it be wise to keep it until SP1 comes out? One of the problems he had today was the suddenly empty start menu.

Attached Files:

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

I cant say what the law entitles you to do in your country, but i doubt it.

You could try claiming not fit for purpose but most distributors wont take anything back once the box has been opened.

3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

If possible wait till SP1, but i would just try replace it, then when SP1 comes out try Vista Ultimate because any of the other Vista Versions are just crippled.

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Where was the product purchased? Your friend might not get a refund because A) he opened the packaging and B) he accepted the Microsoft license agreement.

The start menu issue might be due to bad file permissions in the /documents and settings/user/start menu/ folder. Are there any files in there?

5. RHochstenbach

That folder is completely empty. One moment it was still full, and the other moment it was empty. Sometimes the entry Administrative tools apears in the programs-list, and sometimes it is gone too. He also had problems with the DEP (data execution prevention), because this system was terminating original windows processes (like some screensavers, explorer.exe etc.). But I think that these are just bugs that will be solved in SP1, so he could wait until SP1 comes out, and then reinstall Vista.

6. megamaced

Or Linux :)

7. Willz

I thin, if he is gonna wait untill sp1 is out then isntall vista again, then he should move to linux, if not move to linux, get Ultimate.

8. RHochstenbach

Ultimate only has bitlocker file encyption, 1 animated wallpaper and a protection against driver crashed. That are the only functions that Ultimate has more, compared to home premium. But I've reattached the seal of the dvd-box of Vista. So it could be retured to the store. :p

9. megamaced

If only. No, Ultimate is far superior to Home Premium. It's got Domain support, remote desktop, tighter NTFS controls and virtualisation support to name a few. Most home users won't notice the lack of those features of course, but power users will. If you study the specifications of all Vista editions side by side, you will realise that every version except Ultimate is crippled.

10. RHochstenbach

Power users wouldn't use Windoze :D

11. Impotence

Very well said!

12. Willz

True, power users wouldent use Windows unless there a Windows User...... ahaha :D

I found out why Windows Vista really is faster than XP and more responsive, the whole GUi is ran in the GPU now so it dont use CPU and apparently there is allot better things.

Is Vista worth getting then? - AV Forums < i found that very intresting, also its true, Vista's main compatitor actually is XP..

13. Impotence

A windows power user? :confused:

14. Willz

Lol come on man, there still are like loads of windows users, there is bound to be at least 4 power users, maybe more you know...

15. RHochstenbach

Yeah that is true. Programmers that only know the .NET programming language are forced to use Windoze, and make Windoze apps, as the .net framework only works in Windows (I think).
    (off topic: Do you use Windows? Yeah, to throw my windoze pc uit of it :p )

16. megamaced

Hehe, I knew I'd get some stick for that comment!

Well look, I use Windows at work, I am training to use Windows server for a career. Although I use Linux as my primary OS, I am still a Windows power user :D

17. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I have a friend who works for Geek Squad, and he says exactly what your friend is saying about Vista: slow, unstable, buggy, generally horrible. Also, at my work one of the other engineers had a Vista PC which ran on a pretty impressive piece of hardware... barely. I didn't see it crash, but I did see it glitch up a few times and have some minor spasms like the taskbar locking up and reloading a few times. Yikes.

Back on topic, Microsoft Windows is one of the only products in the world which cannot legally be returned. They have bought some powerful politicians for that one, you can be sure of that. So the best thing I can recommend to your friend is "don't be fooled again" into buying bloatware. Too bad nobody seems to have learned from Millennium Edition... :doh:

18. RHochstenbach

Well, back when people where using ME, 2000, 98SE etc. it was just easy to copy it for someone. But XP and Vista prevent this by using the product activation. In fact, you install Windows and are accused of stealing it. You can then prove that it is genuine by activating it. That just doesn't make any sense :(