Windows Vista will have 7 Editions

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Addis

Addis The King

If you've been wondering why Windows Vista has taken a long time to reach Beta 1, we can now tell you why: there are seven separate editions of Vista headed your way. OK, that's not the reason for the delay, but how else do you introduce that many OS versions, without invoking Snow White & friends? Join me know as I romp through the various editions, many of which you'll see are just barely differentiated.

First up, there's Starter Edition, which like XP Starter Edition, is a crippled (and lame) product aimed at the two-thirds world. It will limit users to three concurrent applications, and provide only basic TCP/IP networking, and won't be suitable for most games. The next step up is Home Basic Edition, which is really the sibling to today's Windows XP Home. However, as the name suggests, there's also Home Premium Edition, and this is where we start to split features like hairs and create a gaggle of products. HPE will build on the the Basic Edition by adding, most notably, the next-generation of Media Center capabilities, including support for HDTV, DVD authoring, and even DVD ripping backed up (of course) by Windows DRM. For non-corporate types, this is probably going to be the OS that most people use. It's similar to XP Pro in power, but with all of the added bells and whistles for entertainment. Well, most of them.

Windows Vista Professional Edition won't occupy the same spot that XP Pro occupies today, because this time it's truly aimed at businesses. It won't feature the MCE functionality that Home Premium Edition has, but it begins to provide the kind of functionality you'd expect in a business environment, such as support for non-Microsoft networking protocols and Domain support. But don't expect too many businesses to necessarily turn to PE. Microsoft is also planning both a Small Business Edition and an Enterprise Edition, which build upon pro by adding (seemingly minor) features aimed at appealing to each market. SBE, for instance, includes a networked backup solution, while EE will include things like Virtual PC integration, and the ability to encrypt an entire volume of information.

Last but not least, there's Ultimate Edition. Hey, I'm just glad that they didn't call it Extreme Edition. I'll leave it to Paul Thurrott, who has all of the details, to explain (and promote) this beast:

The best operating system ever offered for a personal PC, optimized for the individual. Windows Vista Ultimate Edition is a superset of both Vista Home Premium and Vista Pro Edition, so it includes all of the features of both of those product versions, plus adds Game Performance Tweaker with integrated gaming experiences, a Podcast creation utility (under consideration, may be cut from product), and online "Club" services (exclusive access to music, movies, services and preferred customer care) and other offerings (also under consideration, may be cut from product). Microsoft is still investigating how to position its most impressive Windows release yet, and is looking into offering Ultimate Edition owners such services as extended A1 subscriptions, free music downloads, free movie downloads, Online Spotlight and entertainment software, preferred product support, and custom themes. There is nothing like Vista Ultimate Edition today. This version is aimed at high-end PC users and technology influencers, gamers, digital media enthusiasts, and students.

OK, everyone got that? There will be a quiz on Monday.

My initial reactions are reserved, because there's just not that much detail available. Pricing, for instance, would be really nice to know. Will Home Basic Edition debut below the price point of XP Home today? Place your bets. The one thing I will say is that I fear that this may cause a great deal of confusion on behalf of your average consumer. Two versions of XP were enough to cause confusion, and now Joe Blow has four choices that may fit the bill.

One final note worth mentioning is that this strategy does remove the "corporate Windows XP" option from the hands of pirates. Volume licensing for Pro, SBE, and EE may still mean that there will be copies of Windows Vista out there that don't "call home" for Windows Product Activation, but as you can see, Microsoft has removed most of the features that most pirates would want from those OSes. You won't see corporate licensing versions of Ultimate Edition.

Ars Technica

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Um, holy crap. On one level having a $30-50 version of Windows is good, but I wonder why MS can't do like they did with Windows 9x and have a larger variety of removable components? I mean, seriously, a lite version would be nice, but the lite version that I want is crippled in the networking department.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I seriously don't see the advantage of NT5.2 (aka "Vista") over NT5.1 (aka "XP"). For that matter, it seems to me that NT5.0 (aka "2000 pro") was a better platform than either! Is the huge amount of added bloat in Vista a selling point? I don't get it.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i read that, every word, and now i'm confused...help me...

5. Anti-Trend

MS has intentionally confusing naming conventions. I'll draw a diagram for you momentarily.

6. Anti-Trend

Here you go, I whipped up a little family tree diagram using Dia and GIMP 2.2:

[​IMG]

Hope it's a little more clear now. As for the 7 flavors of Vista, you're on your own. :confused:

-AT

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I wonder if some versions aren't necessarily going to be available in the US, UK, Canada, Aus, etc...The reason I'm thinking about that is because MS has offered a stripped down version of XP to Asia and such. Still, with this many versions of Vista, they seriously need to come up with a less confusing system. Even I'm confused here...

8. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

when will vista be able to be using like windows xp (all games, drivers, apps etc...)?

9. Anti-Trend

Vista basically is XP, which is basically 2000 pro. Check out my little diagram above.

10. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

yea, but it still will not work on any app/game's, and also usb stuff for windows xp still does not work :\

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

will all the vista versions be available in 32 and 64 bit?