windows won't load, please help urgent!

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by skribla, Mar 5, 2006.

1. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

When i turn on my computer I get a message saying that the computer could not load the system registry and to run scan reg/ fix because at the moment there it will use up too much memory or something.

after this windows appears to start in safe mode (the desktop background is a strange colour) and then i get a message saying that windows has detected new hardware, i have tried doing cancel and also letting windows try and find it but nothing works. I haven't unplugged or plugged any hardware in, nor have I installed any recent software.

after all this the desktop backgorund just stays there and nothing loads up. therefore, how am i supposed to run the "system registry" from scan reg/ fix if the screen just stays blank?

Thanks all

EDIT: The system is Windows ME (millenium edition)

2. Stinger

Stinger Geek Trainee

You may have done this but make sure no hardware is loose ex: ram make sure all wires are plugged in correctly

3. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

would this cause the computer not to load the system registry though?

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

By the sounds of it, something has corrupted the Windows registry. This could be the result of a virus, or a misbehaving/incompatible driver

The registry is a vital part of the Windows operating system. If anything goes wrong you can run into serious problems as you are discovering.

Fixing the registry is normally pretty simple, however you will loose some Windows and application settings.

Follow these steps

1a) Boot your computer, and just before Windows starts to load press F8. Then select 'safe mode command prompt'

or

1b)Download the Windows ME boot disk here. Insert a blank floppy disk and double click on the file. It will extract onto the floppy. Then boot your computer with the floppy inside.

2) At the command prompt A:\> type ' scanreg/ fix ' or scanreg /f '

3) You will have a new registry now and should be able to boot into ME

5. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

thanks for the advice mate, two problems however, i don't have a floppy drive on my computer that is working, could i boot the stuuf from a usb pen?

also will doing this cause my computer harddrive to be wiped?

also, if i follow the first step how would i load the scan reg/ fix in safe mode

6. Addis

Addis The King

In safe mode command prompt, you should run the command:
    Code:
    scanreg /fix
    and then reboot normally.

7. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

sorry i hate to be a pain... i just started the comp in safe mode, where do i put in that command prompt?

8. Addis

Addis The King

I'm not sure whether you need to be in Safe mode Command Prompt to carry out that command, but if you're in normal Safe mode with start menu etc then try typing: scanreg /fix into the run dialog box in start>run.

9. megamaced

Let me break this down into bitesize peices for you :D

The command prompt is MS-DOS. You need to enter MS-DOS so you can issue that command

When you press F8 before Windows loads, you are presented with a list of options:

'Safe Mode'
    'Safe Mode with Networking'
    'Last Known good Configuration'
    'Command Prompt'
    'Command Prompt with Networking'

....and the list goes on.

So when you are at this menu, you need to highlight 'command prompt', then press enter.

Then you type ' scanreg /fix ' and press enter

This will not wipe your hard drive, but it will rewrite you registry.

If this doesn't make sense to you, then you shouldn't be using a computer in the first place :p

10. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

thanks for all the input but i am only presented with the following options:

1. Normal
    2. Logged (\bootlog.txt)
    3. Safe Mode
    4. Step-by-step config

maybe thats jus cos its windows ME?

11. megamaced

You aren't making this easy for us are you? :D

These are your options:

1) Boot into Windows (if you can) and click Start > Run. Then type ' scanreg /fix'.
    If you can't get to the start button, try the keyboard short cut ' Windows key+R '

or

2) Click start > shutdown and then select reboot in MS-DOS. I'm not if this is available in ME

3) Get hold of a floppy drive.

12. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

i have managed to re-write the registry, however when i restart the computer it seems to detect new hardware (everything, hard drives, different ports) and they all install correctly, then it says that it needs to install the software/ driver for my monitor - i cannot detect software that works and no installation cd came with the monitor, at the moment the only thing that i can view is the display at 16colours, and when i open things like my computer nothing is displayed, i think this may be linked to the monitor problem as windows detects how many items/ objects are in there.

13. megamaced

How did you restore the registy - What method did you use?

As for your monitor, although drivers do exist you don't normally need them. You should be able to download the drivers from the manufacturer's website. They will either come in an executable or zip file.

I suspect Windows has not detected your Video card correctly. Can you confirm that the video card is indeed recognised and installed?

14. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

the registry was restored by booting the computer in safe mode, and then going to run and doing scanreg /fix.

I thought it would have been the video card, however why would my display still sort of be working?

15. megamaced

If the drivers for your video card aren't installed, then Windows will use a generic driver called VGA.
    VGA works will all video cards, but only provides a maximum resolution of 640x480 @ 16 colours.

Tell me what video card you have installed, and I will fish around for the best driver for you.

..cos i'm feeling generous today :p

16. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

cheers mate, i got a list of a load of drivers to install (except it was divided into the different sections of device manager) and i selected VGA so this must be why....

thanks for all your help, the video card is: NVIDA GeForce 2MX 32MB dedicated Video memory

its a bit of an old comp as you can probs tell!

appreciated

17. megamaced

18. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

cheers mate, whats the best way fo putting this on my comp? put it onto cd and put that in the drive, let windows detect it automatically?

19. megamaced

Just double-click the file. It will extract and install automatically.

20. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

yes but i am currently using the computer that is working, i cannot seem to get IE to load any pages for some reason now on the other comp