Windows XP Wont Boot!?

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by rjcube, Aug 27, 2006.

1. rjcube

rjcube Geek Trainee

Last night I figured out I had a virus, so I was running scans and everything. I deceded to install more anti-virus/spyware etc, so I downloaded them, installed them, and restarted. When I restarted it went to the "windows is starting up" screen and then 10-20min later it went to the "welcome" screen and doesnt go anywhere from there.

Right now I am in safe mode scanning everything.

Is there any way to fix this? and what about the possibility of one of my scanners deleting a critical system file?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

First of all run your antivirus and adware to check and delete the viruses and trojans. Safe Mode is a very good place to run AV's. Its good to have only one AV software coz more can cause clash with each other and can give you problems. After that if you still cant log into your normal windows then install SP2 again, incase you have lost some files.....

3. rjcube

rjcube Geek Trainee

I have been running scanners and they havent found anymore problems.

I will try uninstalling some of the software I downloaded.

But is there a way to scan system files and everything to make it all work?
    I have the windows xp disc and I have no idea what I would need to do for a system filecheck or somthing like that.

I was looking around on the XP recovery consle but couldnt find anyting that helped me.

One other thing I tried was running MSconfig while in safemode and I started system recovery, I set the date to last friday. When I went back into safemode it said system recovery failed.

Once again, thank you for any help.

4. Karanislove

If you have important data on your computer then its best to save it now as long as you can run your computer in Safe Mode....

According to this quote, I would say, do complete reinstallation of your windoews instead of deleting softwares and all those stuff. A general view to make yourself more secure in the future. Partition your HDD into three parts...
    (10-15GB) C:/ for windows
    (20-40GB)D:/ for Games etc..
    (Rest of the Space) E:/ for songs, videos etc...

By doing this, you will never required to format the whole drive in the future, just C drive incase anything wrong happens.... It will also reduce the time of formatting etc...
    For Information on Windows XP security Guide, I would like to suggest u to [link=http://www.hardwareforums.com/windows-xp-security-guide-9738/]visit here[/link]

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Partitioning the drive is definitely the first step in securing your files, however, it's not fool proof as I've lost files which were on partitions which I never touched while reinstalling windows, just a few days ago actually.

ALWAYS backup your important stuff when reinstalling Windows, is my new philosophy.

You can try to repair your Windows install too by booting from the cd. I prefer clean installs myself though.

6. rjcube

rjcube Geek Trainee

So your saying to completely Reinstall Windows? And if im not mistaken that wipes ur Hard Drive?
    First before I think of trying that im gonna see if im able to get it running by uninstalling this stuff.

Also, How would I create new partitions for games music etc.? Would that be during installation or would I do it with Disk Management in windows?

EDIT:After Uninstalling programs and rebooting I got it to work, although I would like to know the other questions above.

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Both actually, but you cannot repartition a drive using those. Say you got a 70 gb partition, you would have to delete it and then make 2x35gb partitions, losing your files in the process.

Partition Magic can repartition "on the fly", but I'm more comfortable with low-level partitioning. I'm stubborn like that. Also, the premium Norton charges for it helps keeping my "urge" to buy it in check...

8. Karanislove

During Installation: Yes
    Disk Management: Yes but no if you have installed windows on particular drive.
    However you can also use softwares for disk partitions if you have installed windows on one drive.