Windows2000 so slow

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by jaffacake2000, Aug 28, 2002.

1. jaffacake2000

jaffacake2000 Geek Trainee

I just clean installed windows2000 again on my pc and just installed all the normal software i used to have office, dreamweaver, fireworks, photoshop, ftp, internet etc.

Its takes ages for any application to start or switch over, when i login, it takes 5 minutes for all the desktop icons to appear otherwise everything becomes so slow it grinds to a halt. Something is eating all the memory, i checked what processes are running there isnt much i can kill, although i've set some services from automatic to manual, i've check for viruses - none found.

Apart from putting in more RAM i dunno what else i can do, but the main thing is it didnt used to be slow like that when i had my first pc and had w2k installed on it. The page file is set 400mb initially and 800mb maxium, registry size 17mb, i have 40mb allocated to it.

I setting the page file to background process, but somtimes that could have the same effect. If i put the page file on the 2nd partition w2k warns me alerts/log files wont register.

My c: partition is NTFS i dont know how i could reformat it if booted off a w98 disk, bcoz that version of dos wont see it.

So, is it only i could delete the partition with fdisk and recreate it? that puts me in a risk of what if i loose my fat32 data partition which is full of data.

i dont know what to do....

Sis 6236 AGP
    40x CD-ROM
    Phillips 24x12x40 CD-RW
    Hal 56k v.90 internal modem
    Windows2000 Professional

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

you can delete the NTFS partion without deleting anything on the FAT32 partion! delete it recreate it, then format it to FAT32 and then reinstall Win2k selecting to convert that partion to NTFS....

since you have a cd writer, you could backup the important work files etc?

as for you problem, it does seem more RAM will help allot as 128MB doesn't really seem much for the system!

also you mention you have a virus checker, make you its not scanning in real time, as from what i remember it can slow down the pc allot.

hope this helps :)

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm with adding more RAM as well. There might be other factors coming into play, but it would be best to upgrade to at least 256MB, although 512 may be a real boon.

4. LyNeX

LyNeX Guest

Backup everything needed on the Fat32 drive. Slap another 256MB of ram in there. Delete the FAT32 partition, and put everything on 1 NTFS partition.

And your grammar is something that could be worked on a little more.

And why would he need to waste all that money on 512MB of ram when hes got a decent GHz proc in there to take up most of the work. 384 is More than enough for that system.

If your hard-drive is a 5400RPM model, that would also do it in NTFS. A 7200RPM drive would solve this slowdown.