Wired networking for £50

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Chris_, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Im on a really tight budget for my new pc and now i have got through all the hardware parts thanks to you guys and now im onto networking. Im currently on 1MB broadband (NTL) and I have a DSL modem supports ethernet and usb. Could you peeps please post what I will be needing? The distance from this computer to my room is about 25M (when the cable is under carpets and round corners etc). My knowledge know would be for me to buy a router, network cable and pci-e card for my new pc, and then put the pci-e card in the new pc and then connect it to the network cable and then connect the other end to this pc's router.

If im wrong please direct me the right way :p

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Addis

Addis The King

3. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Right, So now do I need a PCI-E card to go in my asus a8n-sli mobo and what cable is it for router to modem?

Regards,
    Chris

4. Addis

Addis The King

Yes if your motherboard has PCI-E slots that you get a PCI-E network card. You should just need a normal cat5 cable for modem to router if it has an ethernet port already. Just plug it into the WAN port in the router.

5. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Does it matter what PCI-E Card I buy e.g. the brand and model?
    I've found some 30cm Molded Cat5 Patch Cable and After I have bought the router, cable and card I will buy the longer network cable.

Thanks
    Chris

6. Addis

Addis The King

As long as its a network card that is ethernet 10/100 or gigabit then you should be fine. The trusted brands are Netgear, DLink, Linksys.

7. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Ok thanks a bunch. The mobo im getting has On-Board LAN: 1 x 10/100/1000 it's an Asus A8N-SLi Premium will this do fine?

8. Addis

Addis The King

Yes that will do.