Wireless capability problems?

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by Alionna96, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Alionna96

Alionna96 Geek Trainee

So, recently I had my laptop repaired for a crack in the screen. When it was taken in, we had just recently gotten our modem and it gave me Internet connection just fine. When I got it back, though, I couldn't get connection anymore. I've already tried checking the switch to make sure it was on and resetting the laptop, but it still says the wireless capability is off. I'm pretty sure the modem is fine, because I can't get Internet anywhere else either. Any idea what I could do to fix this?

It's a Gateway, btw.

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Sounds like you need drivers for your wireless device. Which Gateway do you have? And what operating system?

3. edijs

edijs Programmer

I am confused as to why you're mentioning the modem. Are you using a router/modem hybrid of some kind :D ?

No wireless capability? Don't you have some wi-fi on-off switch on the laptop. Most of those have such a switch (for lengthening battery life when off-AC adapter)

4. valamar

valamar Geek Trainee

open device manager [run-"devmgmt.msc"]
    is your adapter listed under networking adpaters? does it have any errors?

5. liciniusjack

liciniusjack Geek Trainee

There can be problem related to wireless driver. Sometime even i face problem related with bluetooth. I install driver from somewhere else and install in my computer. I wish this sort out your problem.

6. HardwareHunter

HardwareHunter Geek Trainee

I assume too you are using a router. There is a possibility that something might have been uninstalled when you took in to be repaired a slight technical glitch.