wireless help

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by captfb, Nov 25, 2002.

1. captfb

captfb Geek Trainee

Hello,
    Quick question for you all! I am assisting a friend set up a small wireless network at home! He is running a netgear mr314 cable/dsl router and two machines. One machine is wired via LAN cable to router and the other machine has a siemens 1024 wireless PCI card! The machine with the wireless PCI card is running win98se. The problem is that the wireless card will not see the router! The card in being seen by the machine but it keeps scanning over and over! I checked the settings of the router and everything is as it should be. The cable router is located under the desk and the pc is also located under a desk. The win98se machine does have AOL software installed and it refuses to be un-installed! Does anyone have any advice on what I should be looking for? I tried bringing the machine into the room (to eliminate environmental concerns) and the machine still would not see the router. For laughs I called siemens and the tech advised me to re-install TCP-IP. My friend does not care about the info on win98se machine and is open to a re-image. I had been thinking of just blowing the image away and starting over. I would however like to understand what could be going on here! Does anyone have any ideas? Also are there any wireless forums that I can look to for help? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Captfb

2. syngod

syngod Moderator

Is WEP enabled, if so you'll need to have the same key on both the card and the router also on the system with the card I'd check to see that both it and the router are on the same channel.

There are a few other issues that could be happening but those are the easiest to solve. If you still have issues after my suggestions above post again and I'll guide you through all the possible errors I can think of that it's not connecting.

As for a wireless forum I'd check out Internet.com's 802.11 planet or the Broadband Reports forums.

3. captfb

captfb Geek Trainee

Thanks syngod! From what I remember WEP is not enabled! I will keep the forum updated as to the progress of this issue!

Captfb

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

Forgot 1 other simple problem that could cause the issue. I'm not sure if you've already checked this or not but you might want to check out the DHCP settings and to run ipconfig on the system having problems and make sure that it releases any IP addresses the system may currently have for that card so that the router can assign a NAT address for it.

Hopefully it's something simple like this since there are other issues that could cause this but they're a bit of a hassle to work around.

5. captfb

captfb Geek Trainee

syngod----I tried releasing and renewing the IP address via winipcfg. But it the IP was already released and when I tried to renew it, the machine said it could not communicate with the DHCP server. I would think that the communication with the router would have to be established before getting an IP! I will be looking at it tomorrow night. Details will follow! Thanks for the help!

Captfb

6. syngod

syngod Moderator

Anyway you could post a screenshot of the Network Connections for the card as well as the DHCP settings screen on the router.

I haven't dealt with Netgear before and couldn't find a screen of their control panel so I'm not quite sure what options they allow you to play with.

BTW do you happen to know if the card is installed in PCI slot 1, if so it may be causing an IRQ problem which will prevent it from being able to connect to the DHCP server.

7. captfb

captfb Geek Trainee

syngod-----As far as I know it is in PCI slot 1! If I remember correctly it was pulling IRQ 11. I am going to disable to standard NIC card and see if it can connect after that. I will post my results tomorrow.

8. syngod

syngod Moderator

9. captfb

captfb Geek Trainee

Ok I was able to resolve the issue last night! Strangely enough there was an IRQ conflict that needed to be modified! Once I did that I was able to see the router and got an IP fine! Thanks for all the help!