Wireless networking

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by beretta9m2f, Mar 3, 2006.

1. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

What peripheral or hardware (besisdes a pci wireless network card) do i have to buy in order to extend the range of my wireless network. I'm looking for something that doesn't have to be connected to the modem and can just pick up the wireless signal and allow another computer/laptop to get the signal from that. so here's a crude diagram.

cable modem--wireless router-------thing i'm talking aobut---------any computer.

I SUCK at networking, and don't know anything except how to use a router. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Wireless Access Point (WAP)?

3. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

I was looking at those products (wap) on Newegg but they all seem to have a single ethernet sized slot in the back. Does that mean that i HAVE to plug that thing into my router? cuz that would defeat the purpose of it being wireless. Unfortunately newegg doesn't really have a description of how to use the product.

But at least i know i'm in the right direction now. Thanks dude

4. Addis

Addis The King

A wireless AP allows you to extend your network by acting as a hub. However, it does not act as a DHCP server, thus only one port for connection to your router. This is my setup:

Cable modem --> Wired Router --> WAP -->wireless link to laptop.

However, you can buy a wireless router which is a router with a built in AP, can save having 2 devices. Connecting directly to your modem with a WAP will not work (that was my first problem).