Wireless Query

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by ProcalX, Feb 12, 2006.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Hey all,

keep kicking myself because i'm trying to setup wireless at my girlfriends house, but i just cant figure out whats wrong.

Here's the setup:
    Dell Computer
    HP Laptop + Belkin 802.11g PCMCIA
    BT Voyager DSL Router (With Ethernet)
    D-Link DWL-2000AP+ Wireless Access Point

The BT Voyager is connected to the Dell via USB and has one spare Ethernet port at the back of the router. The BT Voyager is set to run on the network 192.168.1.1 - which is manually assigned.

The internet is on whether or not the dell is on. I have setup the D-Link so that it is running it's own DHCP Server of 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.199 (for the wireless connectivity).

This all works.. it communicates e.t.c

However on the laptop, i have correctly installed the Belkin wireless card, and it recognises the wireless network which i have issued with an SSID of: DLINK currently there is no WPA/WEP/Shared security (as i want to get it all working perfectly first).

The problem i am having is that the wireless laptop recognises the wireless network, but when i try to connect to it it says there are wireless networks available, but wireless connectivity is unavailable...

I'm starting to think it maybe the belkin PCMCIA card ?

The idea was to get to this stage, have the laptop correctly connecting to the wireless network and then to apply security settings (a passphrase) and move the ethernet cable from the DLINK AP so it connects to the BT Routers Ethernet Port - hence making the wireless then standalone just like the BT Router (ie works without the help of the computer being on).

ANy ideas? i just cant figure it out, the subnets and IP's being used are all correct..

2. Addis

Addis The King

Maybe it is the PCMCIA card, after you've ruled out connectivity issues like signal strength and quality you could try using your laptop to connect to the network and see if it works.