Wolfenstein: ET

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by megamaced, Mar 30, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I'm a complete newbie at first-person online multiplayer games (I know - where have I been for the last 10 years? :D ).

Problem is I am suffering a lot of lag when I play this game and I'm trying to determine the route cause.

When I'm inside a building on my own everything runs smooth.

When I am outside and there a guns and bombs going off, the lag begins and the sound distorts!
    When this happens it's very difficult to move around in the game. My charactor will often jump backwards every now and then when I am trying to walk forwards!

Prehaps my computer isn't good enough?
    Pentium 3 1GHz
    384MB SDRAM
    nVidia Geforce2 Ultra 64MB

Prehaps my internet connection is too slow?
    I've noticed that in the game I have a very high PING. It's around about 800/900. What does this mean?
    Can anybody recommend an app that can determine my internet speed?

Prehaps the host (server) at the other end is too bogged down?
    Unlikely seen as everyone else can move OK!

Any ideas?

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

To me it sounds like a combination of internet lag and not enough RAM.
    Have you tried to connect to a low ping server yet?

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I think it's a combination of Internet Connection and PC Specs. My rig runs it okay although it does lag sometimes. Also if someone on the server you're on has a very high ping it can cause lots of lag for everybody.

4. megamaced

That's my point - I have a very high ping! My ping is around 700~900 whilst everyone else is around 50~200. What does this mean exactly?

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define:+ping&btnG=Google+Search

One definition "A command that sends an echo request to a host with the expectation of a reply" basically the time it takes for your computer to get a reply from something it sent to the server (please correct me if I'm wrong, I suck at network stuff...)

The high the ping the longer it takes. Often this causes delays for everyone else as you are holding things up.

6. megamaced

Can you recommend any applications that measure the speed of internet connections? I want to find out just how badly my connection sucks! :x:

The internet comes free with my room, so I can't exactly complain!

7. megamaced

I installed Wolfenstein on my Linux box (2.8GHz Celeron, 512MB DDR RAM, Crappy onboard Intel graphics 64MB) and I still had the same sort of lag. The graphics card might be to blame, but I reckon it's probably my internet connection. After all, it is being shared out between 10-15 rooms :x:

I reckon we should set up a server (with a password) and play a HWF battle campaign! Who's up for that?

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

*puts hand up*

OOO ME ME!

I'd be up for an W:ET HWF Campaign.

9. megamaced

I think we'll need a minimum of four members to make it worth playing!

Okay so you're in Matt555 and so am I. We just need two or more members. The more the better though!

We need to establish who's going to donate their computer for a server. I've got two computers so it's feasible, but my internet connection is probably too slow and we'd all get lag!

10. megamaced

For those who don't know what we are talking about:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory is a FREE online first-person multiplayer shootup! As I said, it's free to download and install. Just do a search on Yahoo. It's probably best to have broadband as the filesize is about 250MB. Wolfenstein is available for Windows AND Linux.

If you want to participate in a HWF campaign, please post :)

11. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

:p

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

You in then ninja fetus?

We still need to get a 'server' though. I would donate my machine but it's cripplingly slow and the connection ain't too great either.

13. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

maybe i can get a server up

14. pelvis_3

What sort of bandwidth and System specs are we talking here?

15. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Dude! haha, Megamaced ... do u still need help figuring out "just how badly [your] connection sucks"? If so, I got the answer for you! Wish I had read this topic earlier, I would have told you haha. I don't know if you're running adblock or something like that or not, but if you're not there's currently an ad right at the bottom of the page to www.pcpitstop.com. I find that to be quite a convenient tester of both download/upload internet speed AND ping. I don't know if maybe it's inaccurate or something ... I mean, that's the only one I've used, but I don't see why it would be. Unfortunately, however, the ping tester requires activex, so when u try to test the ping, it tells u it requires internet explorer version 5+. Soo ... I dunno, maybe u have activex plugin for your firefox/opera? Perhaps that will work. I don't, I just use my internet explorer for that and close it right afterwards. (That and watching videos on some sites that don't play in FF are why I keep IE around.) But anyway, u can still test your download speed no problem. Any browser.

One other word on ping ... you probably researched this by now and know everything about it already, but just in case, in response to your first question, since no one really said much ... I can sometimes have horrible ping but not a very significant decrease in download speed. And yes, 700+ ping is pretty bad. My connection's ping is usually at under 100, except those occasional bad days. High ping doesn't affect your download speed so much as it does how long it takes you to establish that connection. Or something like that. It's the response time between your computer and whatever computer(s) you're talking to. I'm sure high ping still makes the download speed slower, but like I said I can sometimes experience 10x normal ping and still have decent d/l speed, so it doesn't affect it that much. Nonetheless, high ping is horrible for massively multiplayer online games since it's obviously a lot different than just downloading a file. And by the way, people call the phenomenon where u suddenly jump backward when u're moving forward 'slapping' or 'getting slapped' if u didn't know (since u say u haven't played these games much). I get it sometimes playing battlefield 1942 on those bad connection days, really annoying ... when i experience slapping it also slaps me back to center when i try to turn from side to side so it basically completely screws up aiming. sucks, i know =(

16. megamaced

I am running Linux (SuSE & Ubuntu) on both machines so I don't have activeX.

[ot] I installed a dual boot of Ubuntu on my Windows machine last night. The funny thing is that Wolfenstein plays better on Linux then Windows using the same specs! :D Windows is good for nothing [/ot]

I think that was a one off. As I said in a previous thread, my internet Offconnection is shared between 10-15 rooms. I guess at that point everyone was using the internet. Last night my connection was flawless :) No lag whatsoever and a ping of about 70!

Slapping - What an apt name!

Official System Requirements:
    Pentium 3 600MHz
    128MB RAM
    32MB Graphics card

Any fast broadband connection should be enough.

Okay so far our team is:
    Ninja Fetus
    Matt555
    Pelvis_3
    and myself
    DaRuSsIaMaN are you in?

There's enough of us to play this thing. Pelvis_3 and Ninja let us know if you can set up a server. If not then I'll give it a go!

17. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah are we gonna use standard maps? I've been playing ET a lot recently and the more players the better, otherwise we'd be better off doing teams or all-against-all as missions / objectives are pointless with only a few people.

18. megamaced

I think it's probably a good idea that we do.

The objectives will be good if we can get 8-10 players.

I didn't know you could play all-against-all. What's it called in the game? I haven't seen any 'deathmodes'.

I'm going to set up a separate thread in the General Chat forum, linking to this thread.

19. pelvis_3

My second system only barely meets those requirements, so that's a no on the server :(

Edit: Which version will we be playing with? 2.55?
    Also, we need to agree on times to play since i'm all the way over here in Oz.

20. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah, any time is good for me right now - no school - Easter Holidays so I can do it at pretty much any time.