x1950 could this be my problem

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by cloud17, Dec 1, 2007.

1. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

Basicly my sapphire x1950pro overheats. But it is not like normal overheating :D
    this is because i can run games like HL2 and css for hours no problems and i do admit the temperature is scary high, but it works. But i have downloaded a few demos of the latest games like crysis and COD4, i can play for about 10 mins on about med graphics then suddenly. my screen goes funny colours(lines down it etc) when this happens i have quickly minamized to find the temperature not be that high. i have had a look around and i think it may be the memory chips that do not get any cooling from the fan/heatsink. Does anyone know more about this ? I Have found these and was wondaring if they would work ::: Zalman :::

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

I'm considering to get that very card you have. what does 'high' mean? Have you tried palying with some older drivers?

3. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

when i say high it is very high 100'C+ think it has almost reached 120'c but i dont have fans on my case so it also idles about 70'c and yes 'c not 'f

4. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

i have not tryed older drivers. would they help?

5. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

450W Power Supply? Dude... i really think you need to upgrade on that one considering your hardware... This could be the problem. For your hardware i'de say a 550 or above should be sufficient enough.

Anyone else disagree?

6. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

It could be that it is underpowered. It could also be that you have it overclocked (if you have.) Artifacts usually point towards the clock being set too high or the RAM getting ready to go out.

7. edijs

edijs Programmer

a underpowered core would cause instability, not rendering faults. although if it's on the edge of the minimal requirements, it might just be.

Try this

8. LordCallow

LordCallow Geek Trainee

Might be a faulty cooler and might be PSU, if your looking for a PSU then OCZ Technology StealthXStream 600W Active PFC Is a good choice, ive used it with the same card you have in the past with 0 problems, also what brand is your current PSU? if its generic then PSU is proberly the problem.