X1950xt

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by icudan, Jul 5, 2007.

1. icudan

icudan Geek Trainee

Hi all,

New here, i needed some advice on an upgrade im saving up for. I was looking through a big load of graphics cards that i could buy and the X1950XT seems like a good buy as it is in my price range. I was wondering whether it is worth the buy for gaming? Or should i save up for a better card?

Thanks,

Dan :cool:

2. rimmer

rimmer Geek

Right, well if you are from the UK, it is £150ish, same price as a geforce 7950GT. It beats it a little in some things, but openGL intensive progs (e.g. Quake 4) the 7950GT kicks the radeon's arse by a whopping 30-40%

Personally I prefer nVIDIA because they write better drivers than ATi

3. icudan

icudan Geek Trainee

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I need the card for games such as Flight Simulator 2004 and (in the future) FSX, games like the upcoming Call Of Duty 4 and such. So shall i consider saving abit more for something along the lines of an 8800GTS?

Thanks,

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The horsepower on the 8800's is quite nice, so, yeah, that wouldn't be a bad move. The prices on the cards do drop, and the 320MB 8800GTS cards are becoming reasonable. However, you may want to keep the 640MB versions in mind for extra texture space.

5. icudan

icudan Geek Trainee

Thanks mate i might just do that! Will know whether i have a job by the end of next week so the funds may well be coming in soon :D

Thanks for the help chaps!

6. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Yeah, I agree on the 8800gts 320mb's. They are down to us$270 on newegg, which is starting to make them look pretty appealing. And by the time you've saved for a card, they may well be even lower.