X800GTO $70 after rebate...

Discussion in 'Bargain Zone' started by Exfoliate, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814241021
    Quite the deal really, that's a lot of card for $70, granted it is a mail in rebate but you can then put that $50 to a new game or something. Can't really beat it for the price, 256-bit, 256MB DDR2, not too shabby.

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Here's the catch. The memory's clocked @ 400mhz instead of 490mhz, that's the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 models.

I'd stay clear of this one.

One thing though, the sticker that says GTO2 at the bottom. I wonder where that's coming from because Gecube doesn't make GTO2 cards, in fact I believe only Sapphire makes those.

EDIT: it seems this is just part of the company's model number for the card. It's not a gto2. It's a crippled gto.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Weird, yeah I wonder what's going on with that too. I wouldn't worry about the clockspeeds, you could bump them up yourself anyway. It's a potentially $70 card, I wouldn't expect amazing things from it.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I understand you could oc it, but I believe this card has 2.5ns memory, which equals to 400 mhz, so it's already at its maximum capacity. My gto has 2ns memory = 500 mhz.

Also having the extra molex connector on the card helps in ocing. GTOs can oc quite a lot but mine doesn't have the connector so right now, it's stuck at 450/500 (to keep it stable).Better cooling might improve this a bit, but I'll never get a 540/540 oc like some others do.

If you can find a gto2, that would be a better choice if you don't wanna' spend much, since it has 16 pipes enabled, as opposed to 12. I'm sure there are still a few available. Powercolor also makes a gto 16, which is the same as a gto2.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I'm not really in the market for this card in particular man, after all I'm still running AGP, but I just thought I'd let some people know.

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'll admit that it'd be hard to find a better deal.

7. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

man Y dont they have deals n prices like that in britain, even though the place where i purchase is cheaper than others, it is still expensive compared to the us

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

One of the few things America has that no one else does, dirt cheap hardware prices.

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Well to use it seems cheaper because of the exchange rate (something like £1 = $1.9) which makes things in America so much cheaper than what the are over here.