XBox 360 a necessity for next gen football games

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Nic, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

360 signs exclusive football deal

Football games are a key driver of console sales
    Next generation gamers eager to play the latest football titles will need to purchase an Xbox 360.

Microsoft has signed an exclusive deal with EA games for Fifa 07 and with Konami for Pro Evolution Soccer 6.

The 12 month deal means that neither buyers of Sony's PlayStation 3 or Nintendo's Wii will be able to play the football games when they launch.

The announcement was made at this year's Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany.

Source: BBC

2. Addis

Addis The King

That sucks, MS for you....

3. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Ill have to live without the footy games

4. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

Personally and on a business level i think this statement is rubbish unless it can be backed up with real hard evidence.

There is no way these companies would sign exclusivety deals with MS. It is not sound business practice for starters. If you are a games publisher/developer your main job is to shift as many copies of the games you produce. And with us all knowing how much football games drive sales in the console market there is no way that sony or nintendo would let this happen or indeed the monopolies commission.

With sony being the front runner in the market and EA being the same on the software side of things i doubt either would be able to justify letting this happen.

Thankyou.

5. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

If it wern't true why would the BBC report it? I mean I could udnerstand some obscure site but the BBCs widely looked at..

6. syngod

syngod Moderator

Why wouldn't they sign exclusivity deals with MS? After all Sony has with Rockstar for the GTA line, with the Xbox having to wait 6 months to a year to get them.

Money talks and if MS was willing to throw enough for exlusive titles why wouldn't the developer take them. Also with the poor yield rates on Blu-Ray discs I could see EA willing to stick with DVD for a year until yields improve and they can decrease their costs.