XD Card Error "F:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function."

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Canary1975, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Canary1975

Canary1975 Geek Trainee

Hi,

Can anyone help?! I'm having a problem with my XD card. Whenever I connect my XD card to the computer either via my camera (Olympus mju 300) or card reader I get the following error message: "F:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function."

I have seen this error posted on both other forums and on the Olympus website. Unfortunately the forums are all related to CD Writers and the solutions they suggest do not work for me. They mainly cover problems with software compatibilities between Windows and the CD burning software. One solution did concern Norton Anti-Virus but it didn't cover my situation on the Symantec website. The Olympus website seems to have the exact problem but their solution doesn't solve the problem, it suggests changing the drive letter or plugging the device in before starting the computer.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition with service pack 2 installed and Norton Internet Security 2003. I have tried plugging the card reader and camera into both my Motherboard mounted USB 1.0 slots and my PCI card USB 2.0 slots all with the same effect. I have tried updating both the software and firmware that the camera uses again with no result.

The strange thing is that the camera works fine when plugged into my friend’s laptop. We are both running Windows XP Home Edition and have Norton Internet Security 2003, which would suggest a hardware problem, but between us we haven’t been able to work out what it could be. The only major difference is that he has an Intel processor where I have an AMD Duron. They are both about the same speed with the same amount of RAM. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Layla

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Have you checked for a driver update for the motherboard and/or a BIOS update that might address the issue (again, the motherboard)? If you happen to have an Asus motherboard, in particular the A7N8X/A7N8X-E, there's something funky with the USB ports that can butt heads with imaging equipment.

The other thing would be to get a USB expansion card and use that to hook in the camera.