Xms?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Temporal, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Temporal

Temporal Geek Trainee

I'm looking to buy some RAM. I am leaning toward Corsair, just because I dunno I have read good things about it... but I was wondering, does XMS memory really give you much performance over regular Corsair RAM? Which is the better deal? Or maybe i should look to another company. Best 'bang for the buck' company maybe?
    ~Temporal~

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

It really depends on what you're going to do with the RAM. Corsair RAM is great for overclocking, but if you're not planning on doing that I'd lean towards Kingston HyperX memory for the price and stability.

3. Temporal

Temporal Geek Trainee

Alright... Kingston or HyperX, thanks anti-trend. And my main question, what makes XMS so different from regular Corsair RAM? Does it really do anything besides get Corsair more money?
    ~Temporal~

4. Anti-Trend

XMS RAM is faster than standard Corsair DDR in that the latency is lower. If you're going to go Corsair, just stay away from the 512mb TwinX packages, which are really just two 256mb XMS sticks. They can't be overclocked as much and the latency is higher.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Even the Kingston ValueRam is a great choice.

I have DDR400 that can do DDR450 speed. The timings suck but it still does the job. Right now it's at 440mhz.
    It's cheao and it overclocks very good imo.

Btw, HyperX is the flagship of Kingston, both words go together.

6. Anti-Trend

harrack52 is exactly right; all Kingston RAM is very good. I've got some Kingston ValueRAM in the system I'm on right now. It does overclock alright, but not the latency. In my experience Kingston latency is more or less set in stone. Geil or Mushkin might be a good alternative if you're interested in tweaking the timing. Geil is a lot cheaper than Corsair, but still overclocks fairly well and comes with heat spreaders. Of course, I'm not certain about warranty... :confused:

7. Temporal

Temporal Geek Trainee

Alright, from what you guys say, it seems that Kingston is that way to go... Considering I'm not really interested in overclocking my RAM all that much. Well thanks you guys have been helpful as always.
    ~Temporal~

8. Anti-Trend

Good choice; I'm sure you'll be happy with Kingston.

9. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Yep, good choice. I know I was very surprised to see how fast it could go.