XP: boot failure system halted (strange phenomenon)

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Jaaz, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Jaaz

Jaaz Geek Trainee

Hi,

I have an old computer (P4 1.8GHz) with 2 HDDs.
    One of the HDDs holds the OS and most of the material(named C and E), and the other one is quite old and started making troubles lately. (named D, should contain a bit of data and that's it)

In order to avoid the old problematic HDD (D), I decided to remove it.
    When doing so, the BIOS will pass ok, but immediately after that I'm getting an error:
    Boot Failure System Halted
    I must say that I didn't change the connector of the main HDD, and checked that it's connected ok.

If I'm connecting the old HDD (D) back again the OS will load fine.
    I can also load an OS from CDROM while having the problematic HDD disconnected (or connected), but not from the main HDD.

I tried to renew the MBR of the main HDD (might be damaged?) but it didn't change anything.
    I also looked for any reference for D: in any *.ini file in the good HDD (the one which contains the OS), but I didn't find any.

Also in order avoid XP from accessing the old HDD during runtime I made D disabled (in the device manager), but I still see some disk errors in the system log for D - like the OS still tries to access D.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

This is a little confusing, You have two hard dives right ? then whats with C:/D:/ and E:/ I count three here..Do you have one partition into two ? Anyway, Just use the one that is good, And wipe it and start from scratch.. You can remove everything with Partition magic..

3. Jaaz

Jaaz Geek Trainee

Yea, the good one has 2 partitions, C and E.

I don't want to start from scratch.
    It doesn't smell like a non solvable issue, that's why I'm consulting with you guys.

Looking for ideas to try and cure this problem without killing the patient.. :)

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

What do you want to do then ? Your problem is in your boot manager and need to repair or remove or fixed... Do you plan on using all three partitions ?

5. Jaaz

Jaaz Geek Trainee

I don't know, this is why I'm consulting with you..
    I'm planning to use only 2 of these 3 partitions, as one of them is on a faulty HDD which I don't really need.

Your observation is that I have a problem in my boot manager.
    What kind of problem are you thinking of? do you know how can I restore it?

Thanks

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Ok! so are you going to be using the one with two partitions on it ? Your problem is with two partitions and 2 hard drives it needs to know which to boot, and by removing one it needs to be fixed.
    So ! tell me the error you are getting and how is it going to boot first.. Are you running XP OR ? Is the second partition going to be live ? Or is it just for space ?