XP crashes at 1800+ or higher on 2200+ proc

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by triggz, Nov 14, 2005.

1. triggz

triggz Geek Trainee

First off, standard specs..
    XP Pro SP2, up to date
    Abit KV7, most recent BIOS
    AMD XP 2200+ 266fsb
    Corsair 512mb DDR400

I just upgraded from a 2000+ processor (my friend bought a 2200 for his board, but it only supports up to 2000+, so we traded straight up)...

Now windows bluescreens if I set the processor at 1800+ or higher, it loads fine at 1700+ though.

After I installed the 2200, it had problems locking at POST, sometimes right after processor detection, sometimes after a memory check (which would stop at really low values)... Put a new CMOS battery in and reset the CMOS and it defaults to 500MHz and booted fine.. I loaded the fail-safe defaults and it went to 1500+, booted fine.. 1600+..1700+... but when I get up to 1800+, windows bluescreens and reboots. 1700+ still boots fine though.

Any ideas?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Sounds like a possible heat problem. If you didn't clean off your heatsink and CPU (as in removing the thermal paste/pad and cleaning off all traces from the die) and reapplying a thin layer of paste on the CPU die, then you might want to do that.

3. triggz

triggz Geek Trainee

I did this. It's not a heat problem.. I've got a good heatsink and the processor is in the low 40s under load at 1700+..

I really dont think its possible to overheat enough to reset/freeze just during the loading windows with that small of a difference.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's one thing done then. What power supply do you have? While theoretically, you should be okay, if that's acting up, you can get all sorts of odd problems. A good brand with 18A or so on the 12V rail should be fine for your system, which any decent 350-400W unit can provide.

5. triggz

triggz Geek Trainee

I have an Antec TrueBlue, its 450 with 28A on the 12v.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay, another one that's likely not the problem. Try running [google]Memtest[/google] for 4-5 hours and see if you get any errors. While it shouldn't be a problem, your RAM might need some adjustments in BIOS to make it happy with the timings.

7. triggz

triggz Geek Trainee

Ugh. Apparently this problem is worse than I thought.

As it is now, I'm down to bare essentials hardware wise, and I'm have horrific stability issues.

At higher clock speeds, I get IRQL bluescreen crashes even sitting idle.

I've swapped every single item on the board, including processor, and half the time it wont even get past detecting the cpu/mem/ide devices, it hardlocks with incomplete sentences along the screen. The MB itself is the only thing left to change.

The 2000+ that originally worked fine won't even POST, but boots the other system fine.. the 2200+ only works on this right now at 512mhz and I have to clear the CMOS virtually every other boot.

WTF. :swear:

Everything worked fine until I swapped processors, then it all fell apart.