xp pro upgrade, now no CD-rom or DVD-RW?? help!

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by jkratty, Jun 10, 2006.

1. jkratty

jkratty Geek Trainee

Hi folks,

I recently upgraded from W2K to XP pro sp2. I thought the install went great until I just tried to play an audio CD. XP doesn't recognize either of my CD or DVD drives at all! They both appear in my bios, but zippy in Windows.

Help!

Athlon 64 @3400
    Asus A8V Deluxe
    1gb Kingston ram
    1 SATA HDD
    2 PATA HDDs in Raid 1
    Radeon 9550 256RAM
    Toshiba DVD-RW
    56x CD-ROM (forgot the brand)

Thanks in advance!

2. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

of course you know you have to put it on mster slve right? try removing one of the drives, lets say, remove the cdrom, see if the dvd works.

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

roy92, jkratty said the Optical drives show in the CMOS. His hardware configuration is fine

jkratty, Do the optical drives show up under device manager? Can you see any exclamation marks or question marks next to the device(s)?

Go into the control panel and select 'Administrative Tools'. Double click 'Event Log'. Can you see anything in there that refers to your Optical drives?

4. Addis

Addis The King

Yep, also try going to the add new hardware wizard, and when asked if the hardware is already connected, answer yes. then look through the list and try and find your hardware, if it gives you an error then post it here. :)

5. jkratty

jkratty Geek Trainee

Thanks to all who've responded.

No, neither drive appears under Device Manager.

I did try Add New hardware wizard, but it produced nothing as well.

I'm really stumped here.

I came across the following from Microsoft, but I'm not sure this is exactly my problem.
    CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install Windows XP

I had a friend suggest that I need to update my drivers. How does one update drivers if the OS just doesn't even recognize the device to begin with?

Thanks again!

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

How bizarre. And you are certain your optical drives show up in the POST?

In regards to the Microsoft link you provided, you should follow 'Method 1'. Report back with the results

7. jkratty

jkratty Geek Trainee

Success is mine!

Before taking the step of editing the registry per the MS suggestion, I decided to pop in the XP disc and boot from the CD. Strangely, it indicated that it was still in the process of upgrading to XP, so I let it continue.

Then it did something it had done the first time I started the upgrade: i got an error message saying it could not find the file viaide.sys. When I pointed to the file in the system32/drivers folder, it gave a stern warning that it wasn't certified or some such, so I didn't click "continue anyway."

I was having no luck finding drivers to attempt to update the drives, so after doing a bit of research, this time I told it to go ahead and continue the install anyway.

VOILA! :eek:

Almost as soon as I hit OK, the drives both started spinning up, and they immediately appeared in My Computer.

Mystery solved! I'll now do a full Windows Update to see if there's a newer file, but as of right now, all systems are a go.

Thanks again for all your help!