XPS 400 Freezing when idle

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Mathew Gajewski, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Mathew Gajewski

Mathew Gajewski Geek Trainee

Ok this computer is freezing on idle, sometimes like after 15 minutes, sometimes a long time. It isnt even a complete freeze usually, or sometimes it'll sorta respond and then completely lock up when coming back from idle. Mouse never really freezes.

I ran advanced system care, ccleaner also and it fixed it for awhile (it hought) and now its doing it again.

i ran "hot cpu tester" and it freezes the comp
    i ran intels cpu diagnostic software and it passed though

its a dual core pentium d 2.8ghz 1tb brand new hard drive
    i also ran memory tests
    its a brand new graphics card in there, not sure if thats the issue

not sure what else to say, i just think its weird that CCleaner and advanced system care (oh i also ran smart defrag that night) fixed it for a couple weeks)

idk if i shud start replacing hardware and see if that fixes it, and if so, what order to try them in? thanks a lot everyone.

i replaced the graphics card (after this screenshot)
    it doesnt freeze in safe mode i dont think but im almost positive it isnt my start up programs
    oh i also tried msconfig/diagnostic startup or w/e its called

Core Temp
    Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring
    both wont open for me, if that says anything
    i tried two cpu loads, one freezes me instantly, one works fine

thinking its the CPU or motherboard. idk though. thanks all

Attached Files:

2. Mathew Gajewski

oh so if this helps at all...iturned off screensaver and EVERYTHING in there, and i come back, and what it does is, i can see what time it froze (i happen to have the time and date properties open...and whats weird is, the time there, froze, at a different time than the system tray time). but ill come back, the start bar will be froze but, for example, i was just able to click thru my browser tabs...but when i tried to open a new one, the box opened (menu) but didnt let me open a new tab, and think completely froze at that point. i dont get it. are there tools to test this kind of crap accurately? motherboard/cpu? what can i do otherwise

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

It can get pretty tricky to dignoise random freezes! Sounds like you've tried a number of things already.
    • What are the CPU temps like (not sure which one is the CPU temp from the above screenshot)
    • Try booting with the minimal components installed e.g. one ram module, no dvd drive, etc
      • Could be the Power Supply
    • Considering it was "temporarily" fixed by CCleaner and such, try an clean install of windows as something might be corrupt
      • Plus you mentioned it doesn't freeze in safe mode, that suggests something is up with windows os or drivers

4. Mathew Gajewski

its been fine for days in safe mode. thanks sniper. think ima format and see if it still does it and go from there. thanks a lot.

5. Michael Condor

Michael Condor Geek

Just check your system against malware and viruses ,
    viruses and malwares is the number one cause of operation systems to fail ,
    just check it with some softwares : "Avast" ( for example )
    Good luck