XP's drop-dead date comes one year after Vista launch

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Karanislove, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Microsoft will phase out Windows XP as an installation option for brand-name computer makers faster than it has any other operating system, but an analyst says it probably wasn't a decision made to pump up Vista revenues at XP's expense.

According to Microsoft's posted timetable, the company will stop licensing Windows XP to OEMs and terminate retail sales of the operating system on January 31, 2008. The time between the general availability of XP's successor, Windows Vista, and that drop-dead date is just 12 months.

By comparison, Windows 95 was terminated 30 months after Windows 98's debut, which in turn had an 18-month run of availability after the release of its heir, Windows Millennium. On the business side, Windows NT Workstation 4.0 was available to OEMs for 26 months after Windows 2000 Professional appeared; that OS lived 27 months on the OEM list after Windows XP Professional made it to market.

[link=http://reseller.co.nz/reseller.nsf/news/0C9B4DB9C23C8109CC2572C10003CF44?opendocument&utm_source=chbeat&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=chbeat]Full Article[/link]

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

glad i no longer rely on M$, why can't they make something and stick with it.

M$ can't make their :swear:ing mind up

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I still run XP, but after I switch to a Mac I won't use any M$ apps.

M$ not only produces crap software, but they make you poor as well. Just imagine, Windoze users need to switch to Vista. If you look at the system requirements, you'll need a big gaming rig just to run the OS.

4. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

does this mean that if i dont upgrade to vista after the drop date, MS wont be issusing updates for xp anymore?

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

exactly[ot]but i guess updates will be available, well unofficial updates[/ot]yes, M$ does have hold of you by the short & curlies, but i'm on linux

6. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

well thats just great!:dry:

7. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

That's not cool.

8. Karanislove

No Dave, it means you will not be able to buy XP licence anymore but the product support will still remains for somtime...

9. RHochstenbach

I think that many people will switch to linux or a mac in the coming years...:good:

10. Karanislove

Mac:eek:hah:...U still needs to pay for it.. So i guess Linux will be the correct one to go with :good:

11. RHochstenbach

Mac OS costs €129 and it is much better than Vista (costing about €350). But linux is indeed a good alternative. And Mac users aren't forced to upgrade to a new version.

12. Karanislove

But Apple still holds those rights...I mean they can still force :eek:hah: Also you need special PC to run Mac, which is again enforcing users to buy their own pcs only...

13. RHochstenbach

Yeah Karan, that's true. I think that Mac OS might even be worse than Windows if it is installed on a regular pc (it needs to support all those non-Apple hardware).

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

sorry, guess i was being pessimistic as usual

good, i'm already on linux

i've never used a Mac[ot]think i fixed one once[/ot]