XUBUNTU CD problem

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Willz, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hi, i downloaded the Xubuntu CD, and i have copyed it onto CD, but the thing is, it wont boot, it just sticks on mounting root partition or somthing, cant remember what it says, but it wont go any further, i had tryed copying it onto cd more than once, same problem, surely it cant be a corrupt download?, i used GetRight download manager to download it.

2. Addis

Addis The King

What's the exact error you get? can't help you much without it.

download an md5 hash generator software like this one: About the MD5summer

Then compare it with the md5 sum included on the server and see if they match.

3. krock923

krock923 Geek Trainee

you may want to try downloading it without a download manager turned on. however, it might not be a corrupt download.

Try it without the download manager and if it hangs again, please write down the error message.

//seconds too slow. Foiled again!

4. Willz

I did not get any error message, and whats this MD5 sum, and on what server is it on?

5. Addis

Addis The King

Md5 sum is a hash key generated. Its used to check that data hasn't been corrupted. When you use an md5 sum tool to find the hash of a file, you can compare it with the md5 sum stored in a text file on the server where the file is stored. this is usually called md5sum.txt or similar, and it will be in the same folder on the web/ftp server where you downloaded it.

If the 2 md5 sums match, then the download is fine. If not, then the download is not identical to the copy on the server, so it's been corrupted.

6. Willz

7. krock923

krock923 Geek Trainee

8. Willz

ok, i dont know were the hash is on my cd, but i am using the app Addis posted earlyer in this thread, and i got 0 errors.

9. Addis

Addis The King

Can you post the error you got then.

10. Willz

i dident get any errors at all, including whilst trying to boot from cd, and using that program.

11. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

so the MD5 sums match?

MD5 sums are only to verify the .ISO file, not the CD. Find the MD5 hash for the .ISO file that you downloaded and check against the numbers on the server.

What an MD5 is

If all matches up then try to post the exact message that you get when trying to install.

12. Willz

it cant be any of those problems anyway, i tried, ubuntu, Xubuntu and Kubuntu, they all wont work, it must be either my mobo, hdd or dvd-rw

13. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

I was just looking at your hardware. Seems like you should be using the AMD64 version. I would think that the plain jane 32 bit would work on your system but maybe there is something not talking. Probably a kernel issue.

Are you trying to install AMD64 or IA32 version of xubuntu?

14. Willz

i am using AMD64 versions. I had a problem, still do that apparently usually happens on DELL computers, i got a screenshot somewere, al go get it.

Ok... lost the image, anyway it was saying somthing bout PCi conflitcs and Aperture size is at 0mb :s

15. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Maybe you just need to tweak your bios. Sounds like something in the video card (aperture size). If you have onboard sound, video, ethernet, etc that you are not using then turn them OFF in the bios. This could be the source of conflicts and so on.

HTH

ps, so sorry that you have a Dell, I feel for you. :x:

16. Willz

I dont have a dell lol :eek: look at my specs lol, i wouldent dare get a dell, althought before i started to build my own computer's i have to admit, i was looking into getting a dell :\ oh how stupid i was back then :).

Hmm thats a thought, the Ubuntu disk used to work, non of my hardware really has changed exept for the SoundBlaster X-FI sound card, i dont know were to turn intergrated sound off in the bios tho, maybe thats the problem, i hope so.

17. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

In my bios there is a menu called "integrated peripherals" and that is where that stuff is, at least on my system.

18. Willz

hmm yea i have that option.