Yahoo to offer 1GB of email storage

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Addis

Addis The King

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Yahoo says it will soon begin giving users of its free Web e-mail service 1 gigabyte of storage, four times more than it now offers, amid intense competition.

Consumers are increasingly using their Web e-mail inboxes as a repository for e-mail as well as digital photos and documents. Web e-mail providers have been responding with offers of ever more free storage.

Yahoo said on Wednesday the global storage upgrade will begin in late April and take about two weeks to complete.

The Internet media company also said it is beefing up antivirus protection for free e-mail users, giving them the ability to remove viruses from attachments -- a feature that had only been available to paying users.

Yahoo Mail is available in 15 languages in almost two dozen countries around the world.

Google last spring was the first to offer 1 gigabyte of free storage to users of its invitation-only test Gmail service, setting off me-too moves from rivals.

Gmail is now available only as an English-language service.

Microsoft currently limits free storage on its free MSN Hotmail accounts to 250 megabytes.

Yahoo and Microsoft each offer 2 gigabytes of storage to users who pay about 10 pounds per year for the service.

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

How surprising :D

Next we'll be seeing microsoft top that with a 10gig allowance, which will end up like hotmail which is quite frankly awful. And it'll go on and on and on...

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I never used free email service untill gmail.com started, because they offer pop3 and outgoing email service for free! well for now anyway!

4. Addis

Addis The King

hotmail's crap you now have to pay to use it with Outlook or an email client. Gmail rules!

5. matttibb

matttibb Geek Trainee

I'm still using hotmail because everything like my bank etc is linked to it and i can't b arsed to change it, duh.... :rolleyes:

6. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I just started using gmail after a friend's invite. I don't see why it's so superior to others. I've been using yahoo mail for the past years and I was content with it. Gmail just has more space, who recieves 1gb emails anyway

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

true, however it can be a good place to archive your email, I have it setup through pop3 but it archives all the emails I get as backup.

8. Addis

Addis The King

And Gmail sounds cool. Yahoo is just a bit old. Its still in beta anyway.