yall i need alot of help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by erythnul, Mar 21, 2005.

1. erythnul

erythnul Geek Trainee

ok when i boot my computer it shows the foxconn logo then it goes to all this data stuff and at the bottom its says verifying dmi pool data and stays there for ever it seems and then it goes to a black screen and stays there forever then finally loads windows .... why hell is it doing this .... and what does verifying dmi pool data mean or what is it doing ? anyway around this PLEASE I NEED A ANSWER i built this for a friend and i need to fix this ... thanks for any advise

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Are you installing a Windows 9x varient? In other words, 95, 98/SE, or ME? If so, you should know that MS no longer provides security updates for those platforms. ...Probably not a good idea if the system will be connected to the internet.

In regards to your issue, there are varying opinions on it's cause. All of them point to hardware being either misconfigured or faulty, or in rare cases corrupted boot files. Since it's a brand new system, you should begin by troubleshooting the simple things first:
    • Are the jumpers configured properly on the motherboard?
    • ...What about on the drives?
    • Is the BIOS setup right?
    • Is the CMOS setup to 'Auto' for the drive type for your HDDs?
    • Is the floppy drive cable connected properly?
    • Is everything properly connected to the power supply?
    • Any loose connections, either power or data?
    • Is the chassis having grounding problems (any shorts)?
    • Is all of the hardware kosher and fully compatible?
    • Is the RAM good?
    • Overheating -- CPU too hot? Heatsync applied properly with quality thermal compound?
    • Power supply -- is it adequate?

Check these things out and see if you can narrow down the problem. If all else fails, try stripping the system down to its most basic working form (RAM, Video, HDD). If it works then, start adding parts one at a time to pinpoint the issue.

Hope this helps. If not, feel free to reply to this thread and be as specific as you can with both your issue, operating system, and the hardware in question. Chances are somebody here can help you, as I've built what seems like a million PCs in my lifetime, and Big B has probably just as many under his belt.

-AT

3. erythnul

erythnul Geek Trainee

hey man thx for the info .................this is the first system i've built and this is what i got
    foxconn motherboard
    celeron d 2.6 ghz
    sata wd 80 gig hard drive refurbished
    radeon 9800 pro 128mb refurbished
    corsair 512mb ram pc 2100
    cd -rw.. floppy etc.

the computer will boot up to the foxconn logo then go to a screeen that shwos some info ... here is something that might be wrong but idk it says
    ide channel 2 master wdc wd800jd-oojwao 05. 01c05
    floppy disk s fail (40) one

i just saw the word fail so i thought that might be a problem lol
    but at the bottom of the screen it says f1 to continue then it goes to another screen and it says verifying dmi pool data for awhile then boots to a screen with a white loading bar...then it loads the bar half way then goes to the windows screen and loads windows after that it works perfect... the refurbished products work great havent had any problems with the hd or graphic card ....i reset the cmos jumper and when i booted back up and it went to the screen after the foxconn logo it says cmos error: defaults set or something like that ...i dont think its the floppy drive i unplugged it and restarted the computer and it did the same thing ......damn computer stressing me out ...... i didnt do anything to the bios .. am i soposed to set it up ...how do i set up bios? ........i'm running xp thx for the advise ...i'm only 17 so work with me

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yes, you do have to configure the CMOS. Consult your motherboard's manual for specifics on how to do this. Read it carefully, and go through each section methodically. As for the floppy, is the floppy's activity light on constantly? If so, you probably have the cable upside-down.

5. erythnul

erythnul Geek Trainee

its still doing it ... you were right about the floppy tho ...